News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

another antique dealer on the prowl.....

Started by Babybearjs, July 19, 2020, 11:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

saw this tonight on ebay and made me laugh.... the dealer is out of NYC and goes by "Ronnyrocker" wants $125.00 for this with $74.00 shipping! (right...) doesn't even know how to read the date code on it , says its from the 40's or 50's....  leave it to the new yorkers to price stuff.... even in Califonia, it would be less expensive.... definetly a antique dealer who's looking for some easy cash! (or so it would seem...)
John

Different people in different areas have different views on the value of what they own. New Yorker's are no different. Maybe the price of vintage phones are higher there. They likely added in the eBay fee's to the price to maximize their profit. Dealers are in it for profit, they aren't going to give it away. As for the shipping, they have no control over the cost. Unless they offer to ship for free or a fixed fee. Now if you were to walk into their shop, I bet you could haggle out a much better deal.

As for the date, not all people know how to read the date code of a phone. All black rotary phones look the same to the average person because they where made the same way for years.

It would be like trying to date a Model "T" Ford which were made the same for years. Useless you have been taught the difference you wouldn't know.

Maybe they should have done a little research. If it sells, good for them they made some money. If they get no interest in it and they are a dealer, they will figure it out.

Just my two cents.

Can you add the eBay link?

Babybearjs

I understand, I was just amazed at the price.... and the shipping! thought I'd share it with you all.... we all know it won't sell.... at that price, the dealer will just sit there and have to try to repost it.... maybe they will wakeup and lower the price back down to earth!
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 20, 2020, 03:57:55 PM
I understand, I was just amazed at the price.... and the shipping! thought I'd share it with you all.... we all know it won't sell.... at that price, the dealer will just sit there and have to try to repost it.... maybe they will wakeup and lower the price back down to earth!
link
Kidphone

TelePlay

Seller handle is: ronnierocker ( 3994 ), not a new to eBay buyer/seller currently with 1,267 items for sale (very few telephonic).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-City-Rotory-Phone-with-Multiline-564hdr-Bell-System-Western-Electric/362945784509

Shipping is $47, not $74.

Over use or abuse of hand sanitizer, I assume.

Babybearjs

my typing is terrible! I'm always making mistakes lately.... anyway, would you pay $47.00 for shipping? to me thats way too high and knowing how sturdy the phones is, standard shipping would work fine... alot of people just throw a price in to fill the space, flat rate shipping always seems to work... anything over $25.00 is considered express, and won't get to the buyer any sooner. I order stuff online all the time and always watch pricing.... I have an order out for some electrical parts and only paid 9.60 in shipping.... regular mail, gets to me within 3 days.... so $47.00 is considered a stab in the dark with me....
John

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

you actually bought it? and you are in the UK?
John

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 21, 2020, 11:03:18 AM
you actually bought it? and you are in the UK?

If you are asking me, no on both accounts.

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on July 21, 2020, 08:25:20 AM
Price reduction.

Shipping to me 79.60 USD or 107.10 CDN

Maybe he's a member, or casual viewer of the forum and found out this topic was started.

In US dollars, it's down to $95 and shipping to me is only $18, a reasonable price given a Medium Flat Rate box would be a bit more than $15 so maybe $3 for packing materials.

The bump of having a CDN destination. I no longer list items to ship outside the US 48, ever, due to shipping costs which are deal killers.

Stormcrash

I know the round button sets are sought for by some collectors, shame about the foot rot/rust on an otherwise nice looking set

TelePlay

Quote from: Stormcrash on July 21, 2020, 09:54:21 PM
. . . shame about the foot rot/rust . . .

That is a common thing with those "plastic" feet. Outgassing over time causes the surface corrosion.

It's easily "cleaned up" using a Dremel cup brush and then Naval Jelly on a cue tip to convert the brown surface iron oxide to a near black iron phosphate mineral (rock) which stops or prevents future corrosion. It's not a "perfect" restoration but much, much better than as seen. A nice improvement.

Putting a coat of Renaissance Wax on the concerted rush adds a layer of protection.

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on July 21, 2020, 10:13:09 PM
...It's easily "cleaned up" using a Dremel cup brush and then Naval Jelly on a cue tip to convert the brown surface iron oxide to a near black iron phosphate mineral (rock) which stops or prevents future corrosion....

I will have to look up what Navel Jelly is but will be *adding that (or its EU equivalent) to my shopping list.
Thanks for the tip  :).

*Checked out our garage and nabbed the pot of Hammerite equivalent ;).
Now readily to hand in my workshop :).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

That looks like a good sale for a "make offer" option.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke