News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Glass insulator lamps.

Started by Greg G., February 26, 2015, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Somewhere there are glass insulator collectors having a fit.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

those are common.Used for giveaways to new collectors or left behind

DavePEI

Fortunately, those are very common insulators, and in a very common colour. I have a box of these I give away to kids who visit the Museum as a keepsake!

Now, I don't do the same with my rarer types, especially my gem, the purple Diamond Glass Co., Montreal CD-102 pony!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

To be honest, these look pretty cool as lamps. Best of all, it's not damaging something rare or extremely valuable!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

I am looking for one marked SO. MA. TEL. CO
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

One Christmas (about 15 yrs. ago). I made a Christmas Tree from Insulators, Cable spool ends and a set of mini Lights. The bottom Disc was 2' and I tapered it down as I added each Level . Each level had 1  type of common insulator (w/mini light inside).  It was pretty cool.

Jim S.

I plan to  eventually build a reusable 4'+ tree for holiday decoration. I have a nice assortment of pretty insulators for "ornaments" and a nice top piece .

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Brinybay on February 26, 2015, 08:31:03 AM
Somewhere there are glass insulator collectors having a fit.
I am, or at least was, one of those.  I have hundreds of insulators, many of which I have dug myself.  I don't see a problem with making lamps out of common insulators.  I am myself currently trying to downsize my collection and am finding it difficult to find a way to dispose of the more common ones.  When I was still actively digging, I started to take a few commons with me on every trip and leave them behind for someone else to find.

Anyway, as long as I don't see lamps made from the likes of these threadless telegraph insulators that date between 1850-1875 or the older and less common threaded ones, I won't freak out.

Cliff

TelePlay

This new to eBay seller got $485+ for this insulator. Some sell for less than a buck, then there are these.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on February 26, 2015, 10:14:34 PM
This new to eBay seller got $485+ for this insulator. Some sell for less than a buck, then there are these.
Amazing the prices the more valuable insulators can go for. I guess insulator collectors are just as nuts as phone collectors! I am quite happy to have the purple pony as my most valuable insulator! I have it and other insulators mounted on an original cross-arm in the museum, plus one shelf with other interesting insulators...

Plus, of course my very short open wire line outside the museum set up on two poles. Interestingly, the open wire on those poles is surviving line from our great ice storm in the 50s. It has several splices in it, where the wire was repaired after the storm. I have written elsewhere on the Forum about the storm which wiped out telephone lines from Cherry Valley to the west end of the Island in one fell swoop!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 06:06:32 AMPlus, of course my very short open wire line outside the museum set up on two poles.

Very cool Dave.  Do you have a page about that on your site?  I have visited your virtual museum many times recently.  Or a post here describing it (with photos of course)?
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 07:36:36 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 06:06:32 AMPlus, of course my very short open wire line outside the museum set up on two poles.

Very cool Dave.  Do you have a page about that on your site?  I have visited your virtual museum many times recently.  Or a post here describing it (with photos of course)?
Actually, I didn't think I ever took a photo of it, but I just found one which shows them. The cut off poles, brackets, insulators are from the Tyne Valley - Conroy line (the same line our 1240 switchboard came from).

It is only two cedar poles, and alas, they are tipping inwards now slightly so the wire isn't taught anymore. But it is the original cable damaged by the storm. A wooden angle bracket for each wire is attached to the poles.

Incidentally, below the photo of the open wire poles is a photo of one of the boxes of insulators I keep to give to visiting kids.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on February 27, 2015, 07:48:26 AMA wooden angle bracket for each wire is attached to the poles.
aka 'sidepin'.

Do you have a local battery magneto phone connected to both ends?

I can't make out the insulators; are they any of these styles?
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 09:15:31 AM.Do you have a local battery magneto phone connected to both ends?

I can't make out the insulators; are they any of these styles?

All insulators on the poles are ponies such as used on the Farmer's lines on the Island. Similar to the one you show on the left (102s). Most if not all of them were made by Diamond (Dominion later) Glass of Montreal.

The poles are on the opposite side of the museum from the magneto sets, so, no they aren't run through the lines. However, all the magneto sets are connected to the 1249 magneto switchboard in the museum, and you can call to one another through the board.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 26, 2015, 08:20:10 PM
I am, or at least was, one of those.  I have hundreds of insulators, many of which I have dug myself.  I don't see a problem with making lamps out of common insulators.  I am myself currently trying to downsize my collection and am finding it difficult to find a way to dispose of the more common ones.  When I was still actively digging, I started to take a few commons with me on every trip and leave them behind for someone else to find.

Where do you dig for these, from old garbage dumps or outhouses?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Brinybay on February 27, 2015, 12:06:25 PM
Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 26, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Where do you dig for these, from old garbage dumps or outhouses?
Most of the insulators I have dug are telegraph or signal insulators from rail lines.  Since their lines are constructed on their right of ways they just leave the old insulators right where the old poles used to be for the most part.  Telephone insulators have been harder to find for me.  Phone lines generally follow road allowances on public land so they tend to clean up after themselves.  I have heard that old poles that were being replaced were pulled and often the insulators were dumped in the pole holes before they were filled in.  Others went to dumps.  Most of my telephone insulators are ones that I bought, but I have found a few in old dump sites, on abandoned roadways, on rail lines near road crossings or where the line runs closely parallel to a road, etc.  I know a few collectors that have found big telephone insulator dumps but I was never that lucky.
Cliff