News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First phone, first post. $8 Spacemaker 183!

Started by GeneralCheese, August 15, 2012, 12:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneralCheese

Hello, this is my first rotary phone I have ever owned.  I bought this on a whim at a thrift store and negotiated it down from $10, because it hadn't been tested.  Well, I got home, plugged it in, and there was a dial tone.  I do not know if the dial works, because our phone network can't register rotary.

The phone has a date of 1964.  I did some research, and I believe $8 was quite the deal.

Thanks for looking!

stub

GeneralCheese ,
               AE 183 Spacemaker it is!!!!!!!!!!Welcome to the CRPF.  Man, you got a nice phone for the money!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

John S

Welcome !!!!!

You will love it here......

john

HarrySmith

Welcome! Nice phone! Now you need it in all the other colors ;D with matching ringers ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Yes there are only 10 colors plus black so get to work on that!

Welcome to the Forum. Good start (An AE Phone)!

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: GeneralCheese on August 15, 2012, 12:05:53 PM
Hello, this is my first rotary phone I have ever owned.  I bought this on a whim at a thrift store and negotiated it down from $10, because it hadn't been tested.  Well, I got home, plugged it in, and there was a dial tone.  I do not know if the dial works, because our phone network can't register rotary.

The phone has a date of 1964.  I did some research, and I believe $8 was quite the deal.

Thanks for looking!

Welcome, and yes, $8 was a steal!  But whatever you do, don't take this particular model apart, they are a b*tch to get back together! http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1537.0

I believe you need a ringer box for these.  If your phone service doesn't support pulse dialing, you'll need to get either a PBX, pulse-to-tone converter, or something like an Xlink that acts like a bluetooth for your cell phone.  It has a modular port to plug your rotary phone into.  They all do basically the same thing, convert pulse to tone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

They have a network inside, just not a ringer. I have totally disassembled at least 10 of these. Just pay attention as you go.

Terry

stub

GeneralCheese,
                       You can always build one of these touch call pads and fix it where it will plug to any phone you have. Here's the link -   http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html
                     I don't have a black Type 33 ringer box that you need but here's one in ivory and make sure you get a straight line ringer in it.  If you have any problems just let us know and we will GIT ER DONE!!!           stub
Kenneth Stubblefield