News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just had fiber installed!

Started by deedubya3800, July 05, 2013, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I posted well over a year ago that our area was getting fiber optic. We just got the ONT installed and connected Wednesday, and so far I have nothing but good things to say about it. Our internet speed is five times what it was before, and so we can now all watch Hulu at the same time!

As for the telephone service, I can't tell a change. The sound quality is perfect. The ONT supports pulse dialling! And it also supports an REN of at least 5 (I ran out of adaptors for my non-modular phones). The only oddity I have noticed is that the dial tone doesn't break until a split second after the first number is finished dialling.

Here are pictures:

twocvbloke

So is this full, proper, fibre to the house, or is it the sort like BT's "Infinity" where it's fibre to the cabinet?

Either way it sounds pretty good, and that interface looks pretty neat too, looks like they put the modem into the unit to keep everything together, and even seems to have a point for cable access too... :)

WesternElectricBen

Why would the installer just park in the middle of the driveway?

deedubya3800

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 05, 2013, 04:39:46 PM
So is this full, proper, fibre to the house, or is it the sort like BT's "Infinity" where it's fibre to the cabinet?

Either way it sounds pretty good, and that interface looks pretty neat too, looks like they put the modem into the unit to keep everything together, and even seems to have a point for cable access too... :)

Yes, the fiber comes right up to the corner of my house before it's transformed into a telephone cable, which goes directly to my house jacks, and a Cat 5e cable, which goes directly to my router. If I opt to get my cable TV from them (which I don't as we get all our TV through the Web), this same box includes the hookup for that as well.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 05, 2013, 04:58:21 PM
Why would the installer just park in the middle of the driveway?

It was the best place. I was parked in the yard, and I live on a highway with no shoulder.

twocvbloke

Quote from: deedubya3800 on July 05, 2013, 05:02:42 PM
Yes, the fiber comes right up to the corner of my house before it's transformed into a telephone cable, which goes directly to my house jacks, and a Cat 5e cable, which goes directly to my router. If I opt to get my cable TV from them (which I don't as we get all our TV through the Web), this same box includes the hookup for that as well.

Cool, proper fibre then, BT's yet to catch up with offering genuine fibre internet like that... :D

And having the cable TV side to the box aswell, that's quite handy if you did go for cable... :)

deedubya3800

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 05, 2013, 05:08:30 PM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on July 05, 2013, 05:02:42 PM

Cool, proper fibre then, BT's yet to catch up with offering genuine fibre internet like that... :D

And having the cable TV side to the box aswell, that's quite handy if you did go for cable... :)

And to think, I live on the backside of nowhere where the only service available is from a rural telecom cooperative!

twocvbloke

Quote from: deedubya3800 on July 05, 2013, 05:31:11 PMAnd to think, I live on the backside of nowhere where the only service available is from a rural telecom cooperative!

There's a similar thing here in the UK (specifically the North West of England), B4RN, or Broadband For the Rural North, which is making BT and other telcos in the UK look pretty lazy when people who are basically running a "man in a shed" setup more effectively than the big guys are (especially when the likes of BT still won't offer even ADSL in some areas, where people have to rely on dialup in this day and age!!)... :)

This is their website:
http://b4rn.org.uk/

We do have BT's Infinity here on this street, but, it's too pricey to justify when my mobile phone provides me with nice fast speeds when I need them, plus more... :D