News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Connecting Dialgizmo to Western Electric 554 (wall phone)

Started by fiddleplayer51, November 21, 2016, 08:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: kdpezz on March 25, 2017, 06:55:47 PM
So I just am wondering...I have an refurbished phone with internal converter that still isn't working with my system....purchased a dialgizmo as I heard it will work with my Comcast modem....doninneed to somehow disconnect the internal converter on my rotary wall phone to have it work properly?  Someone on here seemed to think so and that makes sense....just seeing if anyone else has had experience with this

If you have an internal converter like a Rotatone, it should work already. If it does not, there may be a polarity problem.

The internal converter requires that the phone be rewired so that the dial pulses are fed to the converter. That means that an external Dialgizmo will not work because it will not see any pulses. You will need to remove the internal converter and restore the original wiring before you can use the Dialgizmo.

It seems that we have two threads running here - it might be best if they were separated before confusion reigns.

Jack

kdpezz

AL_as_needed

kdpezz: please post up some pictures, that way if there is a wiring issue we can spot it. Please be sure to look up how to properly remove the cover on your wall phone within this forum, so as not to bend up the catch.

Jack Ryan: agreed, there are diverging issues here,  who mods the general discussion area? this could be better suited in the voip/IP or other tech area.
TWinbrook7

kdpezz

Sorry I wasn't sure how to start a separate thread so I apologize
for the confusion ...here is what the inside looks like. The guy said he can't undo my rotatone without extensive work...I don't know if these are helpful at all.  I think if I could get the rotatone removed he dialgizmo would work

HarrySmith

We will need to see the rest of the wiring, the back of the dial and what is under it. To remove the dial there is a screw on each side that you just loosen and slide through the slots to lift it up and off.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kdpezz

Ok will get those to you tomorrow I have to take it off the wall

AL_as_needed

Just to clarify, as i have not seen this asked prior; are you getting dial tone? Or is the phone just failing to break tone and not able to dial out?

While I do not want to rule out the rotatone converter or a wiring issue, it could be as simple as the dial being too slow/fast or even an issue with the wall jack. At least in my case, the stupid stuff often causes me more issues than the technical details when getting a phone back into service. Again, check polarity as noted before. 
TWinbrook7

kdpezz

Only works if you hook red to green and vice versa.  Get dial tone and can make call.  After that you have to wait forever for the phone to "reset".  You hang up and it's like it does end the call (if I call my cell from it I get voicemail, hang up and wait, pick up receiver again and voicemail still going.  Eventually goes from that to fast busy to silence and then after a very long time it's back to normal.  My husband brought to work and tried it (they have AT&T and the same thing happened but the "reset time was only a couple minutes as opposed to an hour at home.  I've tried to work with one of the higher level tech at Comcast no luck

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kdpezz on April 07, 2017, 12:35:57 AM
Only works if you hook red to green and vice versa.  Get dial tone and can make call.  After that you have to wait forever for the phone to "reset".  You hang up and it's like it does end the call (if I call my cell from it I get voicemail, hang up and wait, pick up receiver again and voicemail still going.  Eventually goes from that to fast busy to silence and then after a very long time it's back to normal.  My husband brought to work and tried it (they have AT&T and the same thing happened but the "reset time was only a couple minutes as opposed to an hour at home.  I've tried to work with one of the higher level tech at Comcast no luck
A momentary short across the incoming red and green wires would probably reset it.

If it does, then you can wire a door bell button across red and green for a temporary fix.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

kdpezz

A doorbell button.... are they all the same?  Do they have red and green wires in them?  Again, so sorry for my endless ignorance on this topic...what does the doorbell wiring accomplish?  Very interesting...

Jim Stettler

Quote from: kdpezz on April 07, 2017, 03:25:13 PM
A doorbell button.... are they all the same?  Do they have red and green wires in them?  Again, so sorry for my endless ignorance on this topic...what does the doorbell wiring accomplish?  Very interesting...
[/quot
Quote from: kdpezz on April 07, 2017, 03:25:13 PM

The button is an easy means of obtaining a momentary "short" across the green and red wire.
If you "short" across red and green after you end your call, It will probably reset the device.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

kdpezz

So if I get the doorbel how do I hook that up?  I'm using the red and green from the phone and the red and green from the wall (the phone only works if I connect red to green and green to red)

Jim Stettler

1st test to see if the device resets with a momentary short between green and red.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
take a short piece of wire, strip the ends and  Open the wall jack.

Make a phone call, hang-up, then take the piece of wire and touch it momentarily between the red and green terminal of the wall jack. (this created a "short"). Check to see if that caused the device to reset.

If it reset, then you can connect a door-bell button between the 2 terminals that you "shorted". 
You live, You learn,

kdpezz

Ok that didn't work but I think it may donwith my arris modem...if I plug and unplug I get the dial tone back...can call out but won't receive calls though Comcast is receiving it (notification on my cell of incoming call)