News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Well.... its about Time!

Started by Babybearjs, April 06, 2017, 05:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

After 20+ years of having 3 line phones... I finally found pictures of what I needed back in the 90's when I started to play with these phones... would have been nice to have these parts then.... would have saved me a bunch of time in redoing line cords....
John

AL_as_needed

But just think, your a line cord master now  8)
TWinbrook7

Babybearjs

you know, if these were just available to me back in the 90's... even in the 80's I could have used these to do my multiline phones... an AE 87A would look real nice with this type of connection on it... but now, with the RJ 45 cords...they still work, but look clumsy with 2 cords coming out of them.... why phones used to be hardwired is beyond me sometimes...not with stuff like this available....
John

compubit

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 06, 2017, 10:45:57 PM...an AE 87A would look real nice with this type of connection on it... but now, with the RJ 45 cords...they still work, but look clumsy with 2 cords coming out of them....
One option for two (or more) sets of wires is heat shrink tubing: it comes in multiple colors, shrinks down protect whatever is inside, and is flexible. I know it can be found in short pieces, longer (3-4 ft) or entire rolls.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AL_as_needed

One trick I have tried to try and reduce the cords running around is just use the different wires tip/ring. Standard phone wire has four filaments, so that can be used in a pinch for tip/ring pairs on two lines. You could also upgrade to a new style of line like CAT5 or 6. yes wire is thicker but has more pairs to work off of for sets that have multiple line options.
TWinbrook7

Babybearjs

All my phones have been refitted with RJ45 cords... modern, but messy....a 564 can have 4 individual cords coming out of it... I use modular jacks at all my location. the main reason I posted this thread was because had I known about a 6 pair jack... I probably would have used that on some of my phones... but.... age is a problem and these were fairly discontinued by the time I started collecting.... If these type jacks and plugs were still readily available, they would be on some of my phones.... Suttle doesn't even make these anymore....
John

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Babybearjs on April 08, 2017, 08:34:11 PM
these were fairly discontinued by the time I started collecting....

And there is both the fun and frustration of collecting  :)

I'll keep an eye out, you'd be surprised how many part  of things you find demoing a house. Practically all of my WE wall blocks and such have come from houses under-going the hammer treatment. Same goes of doors, cabinets, fixtures etc.
TWinbrook7