News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Organized my phone jacks

Started by benkeys, August 19, 2015, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

I recently organized all my phone jacks in my bedroom to hook up the numerous phones I have. Since I do not have a POTS at my house I removed the interface box off the side of the house a year or so ago and had it down the basement until I did this. I wanted to reuse it but just didn't know what I was going to do with it until I got the idea to do so. I just used what jacks and wire I had on hand. Basically what I did was use a jack to connect to the main terminals in the phone company side and then wired 2 jacks in series to the terminals on the customer side of the box. I eventually plan to get more square jacks and put those in instead of the little one that won't mount. Then today I got a wall jack with a DSL pass through on it for free so I put it beside my box. I plugged my phone in the DSL plug to make it easy to plug in another phone if need be. It's not the neatest or fanciest set up but it's using stuff I already have or stuff I got free.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Phonesrfun

The phone company might not like you taking their box, but then again, they probably won't come looking for it either.  What does the switch do?
-Bill G

benkeys

That box likely belonged to United Telephone, which hasn't been the phone company for at least 20 years, after that we have had 2 or 3 other local companies, so I doubt they will even miss the box. It was just sitting unused for numerous years since the last people that lived here had TimeWarner phone, like I do. The switch is to turn off my phones when I don't want to be bothered. Sometimes we get really annoying calls numerous times a day and I rather not hear the phones ring. The cordless phones still ring but are usually turned down so I don't hear them.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....