News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Dial Card.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 27, 2010, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Does anyone have a dial card like this. It's a little pouch where you can change the numbers. Seem like a dumb idea.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, I do have one, maybe two of these.  I believe they're called acetate discs.  You can see some more here:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/we/we_acetate_disc.html

Phonesrfun

A new wrinkle in my brain.  I hadn't seen these before.  Thanks, both of you for posting these.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I had to laugh when I thought about the concept. They have to print the numbers on a small piece of card stock anyhow, and just how often did they expect the number to be changed. I bet this was a very short lived idea.
D/P

Doug Rose

Hey Dan....rethink your thoughts on these. They are a fairly tough find in displayable condition. I look for beat-up phones on eBay (270581907012) for a cheap price, just to get these beauties. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think these really are the perfect ending to refurbing a great WE phone.  Just my two cents....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
I agree, I really love the card. It just struck me as funny the effort put into making it.
I equate it to maybe selling home address placards, with changeable numbers.
When were these used.

D/P

Dan/Panther

Here's another little giveaway gadget I like a lot.
While I was posting this photo of the dial ring attachment, the number looked familiar. This has got to be one of the all time weirest coincidences. Check out the numbers.
D/P

rdelius

These number cards seem to be the the most common  on late 1930s dials.It would be nice to look up the patent.
Robby

Dennis Markham

Dan, that's pretty amazing that those cards ended up in the same place.  Albeit the exchange is different, the 7-1089 is quite a coincidence.