News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger phone - Aptofone?

Started by FABphones, August 22, 2018, 07:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I've found this Strowger phone. Chances are it's 100% correct, but I have queries...

The handset is AEP. The earpiece might be a replacement, pepperpot correct, but colour not quite the same. I think the spitcup might also have been replaced. Maybe.

I know these Strowger phones were used in Portugal:
http://www.britishtelephones.com/atm/strowgerphone.htm

I've looked up that ugly skinny handset cable, and there are pics with those on this style of phone.

Next, taking a look inside - it's an automatic, correct diagram and pretty much in order as far as I can see.

So...... questions - does an AEP handset belong on this phone?
Or - were they all originally with handsets marked ATM? Or ever with a handset marked GPO 164?
Correct handset cable? This one will be replaced either way, yuk.

Your thoughts please....
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

Just a small side note:

Looks like this is the cradle that was used on the assembly of my 'Chicago Phones' phone.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

The Chicago old Telephone  set has a ATEA Belgium cradle.Not sure if the ATP set has the right handset but the  set looks the same as the ATM one from England

tubaman

I have a Portuguese one but the handset is marked 'Aptofone', so I'm not sure it there was an AEP version too?
Mine has lost its diagram unfortunately.
The handset cord is a straight greeny-brown cotton covered one but I don't know if it is the original.
:)

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on August 22, 2018, 12:27:45 PM
I have a Portuguese one but the handset is marked 'Aptofone', so I'm not sure it there was an AEP version too?
Mine has lost its diagram unfortunately.
The handset cord is a straight greeny-brown cotton covered one but I don't know if it is the original.

If you have any to hand, could you pop photos on this thread for comparison, also one of inside?
Thanks.

ETA: Found this extensive amount of info about Strowger:
http://www.britishtelephones.com/histatm.htm

But nothing definative about handset markings as yet. The AEP handset could well be correct.

FABphones

From above linked website page:

'Another significant development occurred in 1929 when a British company won the concession from the Portuguese government to run part of the country's telephone system. The Anglo-Portuguese Telephone Company (APT) was established and operated in Lisbon, Porto and surrounding areas, later becoming Telefones de Lisboa e Porto (TLP). ATM set up a subsidiary known as Automatica Electrica Portuguesa (AEP) which for many years supplied the apparatus needs of these companies. Thus the Monophone, and later the 332 and 706 type telephones, became as familiar in Portugal as in Britain - and now these old black Bakelite telephones are being imported back to Britain to fill the demand for antique telephones here'!

tubaman

Here you go.
As you see, some bright spark thought it a good idea to chop the dial wiring short at some point (and then badly rejoin it). :(
Looking now at the way the handset cord is wired inside the phone it may well be the original one after all.
The black finger wheel is my replacement, as the one it came with was brass like yours and I didn't think that was how it would have been originally (but I could be wrong).

The wiring on yours is certainly later than mine (plastic vs cotton covered), so perhaps it went through a refurb and got that later handset cord at the same time?

As I was about to post this I saw your extra info - sounds like an AEP handset is likely to be ok - good news. ;D

tubaman

A quick Google just found this - black dial it is then!
http://diasquevoam.blogspot.com/2009/08/o-aptofone.html

FABphones

Thanks for taking the time to help out. Good to see those pics.

We should form a detective duo - whilst you were updating the thread I found this. Sold at auction in 2014 for just 59$.

So yup, the handset would appear to go with the phone.  ;)
...but then maybe so does that thin plastic cable...  :(

So guys - Would you swap it out? I have a nice old woven cable, looks better.... but.....  :-\

tubaman

If it were mine I would leave as is because it's original, but that's just me.

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on August 22, 2018, 02:06:32 PM
If it were mine I would leave as is because it's original, but that's just me.

Sigh. Agreed. It's the right thing to do.

Now we seem as sure as can be that's all original, the cleanup starts tomorrow then.
...and I'll be polishing up that dull fingerwheel a bit too.

Many thanks for the help, appreciated.  :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FabPhones on August 22, 2018, 03:25:12 PM
Sigh. Agreed. It's the right thing to do.

Now we seem as sure as can be that's all original, the cleanup starts tomorrow then.
...and I'll be polishing up that dull fingerwheel a bit too.

Many thanks for the help, appreciated.  :)

I typically leave phones as found, but, that is because I am lazy. I used to know a collector that would create fantasy telephones, He told me, They are my phones, so I do what makes me happy.

In this case I lean towards the woven cord,
Just my Opinion tho,
jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Quote from: FabPhones on August 22, 2018, 01:45:24 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help out. Good to see those pics.

We should form a detective duo - whilst you were updating the thread I found this. Sold at auction in 2014 for just 59$.

So yup, the handset would appear to go with the phone.  ;)
...but then maybe so does that thin plastic cable...  :(

So guys - Would you swap it out? I have a nice old woven cable, looks better.... but.....  :-\

This picture is from the 2014 auction? If so the handset caps have the same color difference as yours.
If it was mine I would put on the nicer handset cord. They got changed a lot while phones were in service anyway, they were subject to the most abuse. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I spotted the same thing about the caps too Harry. So similar I looked twice to make sure it wasn't the same phone ;D.  Unusual colour matching but am glad to see it's consistant so it looks like it all belongs together after all.

After posting I removed the spitcup to take a look inside. The cord is a mess in there. Quite a lot of it tied into huge knots to stop it pullling through. I like it even less now. It's too thin for the entrance hole, no rubber grommet either.

Oh - what is YMMV?

HarrySmith

Yes, that is quite a mess. I do not think it would have been installed that way from the factory.

Your Mileage May Vary. It is a humorous, deliberate misuse of a popular disclaimer used in the US years ago. Sorry, I forget we are a worldwide group sometimes!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"