News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum stats

Started by Phonesrfun, December 26, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I created an Excel spreadsheet that I had hoped to convert to pdf to post to the forum.  Basically what it shows is that we are about to pass 2010 in terms of the total number of posts for the year.  It seems that 2010 was the most active year in terms of new posts, which was aided by Dan/Panther's grand-daddy topic from March of 2010 titled "Now the story can be told".

It also shows that from the inception of this forum, we have had good strong participation all along.  Some people come and some go.  Some go away for a while then come back.  Many have been here from the start or close to the start.  Truly a wonderful forum to be part of.

Unfortunately, I am away from home for Christmas and using a work-issued laptop that prohibits me from loading software.  I don't have anything on this laptop that will create a pdf file.  I created the data from the forum stats page but I can't put it into a form readable  by this forum.  The forum software won't even let me upload an excel file.

If anyone wants to have the Excel file then create the pdf file, let me know via IM or email and I can email the file to anyone who wants it.

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill,

Here is a site that will convert your files to pdf at no charge:

http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

If you would like me to upload the file and post it in pdf form, I'd be glad to do that.  Just send me the file via e-mail.

Dennis

Phonesrfun

I sent you the file via email.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

I converted the file, Bill using the site I mentioned.  The result isn't right.  Part of your graph is cut-off in the conversion.  I sent it back in pdf form.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

I had the same issue with the web site.  It tries to print the whole file.  When using a printer, or even a pdf software printer, Excel knows the difference and will "print" just the graph.

I will try to save the file to a discrete file and try it that way.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

OK I went a kind of long way around to get here but here is the graph

Microsoft has an oddball format called XPS document writer which knows to just print the selected graph.  From there the conversion website recognizes a XPS file and can convert to a pdf file. 

If anyone still wants the raw data, I have it.

Finally, I also made a jpg
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Here is another way to study the stats. I don't think that we are going to make it though with only a week to go. (pass 2010's record number of posts).

The most amazing thing is the explosion in the number of new members since the forum software obviously counts applications rather than approvals for new members. Soon Dennis will need a full time office staff just to say NO! There are now well over 150 membership requests per day. Who would have thought the CRPF would be so popular!!!

Terry

Phonesrfun

Terry:

The page you show is where I got the stats for the graph.  Being the accountant that I am, I thought a graph would be interesting.  The other thing is that under the heading of Forum news is where I wanted to put this topic to begin with.  Unfortunately, one cannot create a topic there, but apparently once a topic is there, one can reply.  :)

-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 26, 2013, 11:26:03 PM
The other thing is that under the heading of Forum news is where I wanted to put this topic to begin with. Unfortunately, one cannot create a topic there, . . .

Bill,

This is what I see under "Forum News." There is a red "New Topic" button below the child boards and above the general topics. Is what you see different than this?

Phonesrfun

No red options at all on that page.  Only Notify and Mark Read.  Other topics have all the options.  The set-up must be that only forum admins can post to that topic directly.

I am a moderator of the child board Forum Members Only, and I have rights to post there.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

I hope you aren't in there trying to fix it John. I just fixed it and hadn't noticed that the last two posts were almost live when I headed in to take a look.

Just as Bill reported, that one board (not the child boards though) was set to reply Only. Likely an inadvertent button push at some time in the past. It is now set to "Default" which allows anyone logged in to post and/or create topics.

Terry

Contempra

@AE_Collector . You will need more moderators for sure at this rhythm  ;D