News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 40 model A

Started by rbouch, July 24, 2016, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

I was lucky enough to win this phone on ebay recently.

Was delighted when I unpacked it and found it to be fully functional.   Elements inside the handset are dated October and November 1944.  I am not used to seeing dating on an AE phone.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer:

1. The handset cord outer cover is totally frayed but the wires inside are like new. Is there a way to recover the existing wires?
2.  The dial centre used to glow in the dark, from my understanding ( and is mildly radioactive as well), and would glow again with some new phosphor paint (which I can get).  I even have a local guy who could do the retrace work nicely.  But how do I get the card out of the ring??? It is made of metal and seems to be permanently crimped in the dial ring.
3.   We're the numbers n he dial plate originally white, ivory, or some other colour?  These aren't meant to glow in the dark along with the dial centre are they?
4.  The phone has a grey felt cover over the base which plays the role thta rubber gasket would play on the ae 40s I have seen before.  Is this normal for these phones?   This one is worn through, does anyone know where replacements can be had?

I have attached pictures below.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer some of my questions...

rbouch

Receiver element dating in picture below

poplar1

Quote from: rbouch on July 24, 2016, 10:58:04 AM

2.   But how do I get the card out of the ring??? It is made of metal and seems to be permanently crimped in the dial ring.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3447.msg45688#msg45688

Click on the link entitled "Metal Dial Card Removal."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rbouch

Thanks!
That got the number card out!

mentalstampede

Nice! I was going to try and snipe that one, but I forgot about it. I'm glad a forum member scored it.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Jim Stettler

I think there were some # rings that glowed. You might try it under black light.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

rbouch

Thanks
In regards to the luminous dial centre, I found this in a 1944 ae catalog on the Tci site (see below). Checking further I found a supplier of luminous paint on eBay who seems to think that refreshing the phosphor on the dial card will have it glowing for another 20 to 30 years.

The tritium has a a 16000 year half life, so it isn't the issue, it is the phosphor over the tritium that is worn out.

I think a fine hand with an airbrush (and a local motorcycle place has that guy) could bring this centre back to life

mentalstampede

I'm not trying to be pedantic, but I think you mean Radium, not Tritium. Tritium is what is used in modern stuff and has a much shorter half-life.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

rbouch

You're right!
I get fixated on one word and forget another.
Radium.