News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polish? Russian? Any Ideas what this is?

Started by Doug Rose, July 21, 2018, 11:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan and I found this at Brimfield last week. I have seen Polish and Russian phones that are similar. It is WE Thermoplastic Red/Orange color and it wonderful shape. There is no ringer inside...otherwise great shape? Any ideas?....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Interesting that the label on the underside is written in English. And there is a Technix International still trading in India.

I can't make out the smaller text on the label, what does it say?

Strong vibrant colour there, and it looks very tidy, is it a keeper?  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Fab...just a phone number and an insignia. it will be moving to another collection....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Made in New York? I would guess a cheap copy of a European phone. It does resemble some I have seen. Looks good. I noticed the connector block on the line cord. Did you add that? Does it work?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry...it works....no ringer, but dials out and conversation is clear
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Under the sticker it states Made in Poland....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

AHA! No wonder it resembles a european phone. Good detective work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HowardPgh

That phone would look good paired with a late 50s to 60s portable radio.
Howard

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 21, 2018, 03:31:58 PM
Under the sticker it states Made in Poland....Doug

There's one of these up on eBay at the moment, the listing says it was military (?), shows a black and white photo of the phone sitting on top of a recording device, ansaphone maybe, I didn't look. I only saw it in passing. I'll see if I can find it again and grab the photo.

--------------------------------

Moderator edit: info added

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-POLISH-RED-ROTARY-TELEPHONE-FOR-KGB-POLICE-UNIT-TELKOM-DIAL-PHONE-VINTAGE-/172800123102

Also

https://allegro.pl/telefon-tarczowy-telkom-rwt-elektrim-storczyk-74-i7458291345.html?reco_id=1d04908e-9072-11e8-a1a7-b8ca3a6abcd8
     https://allegro.pl/telefon-aster-telkom-rwt-elektrim-antyk-prl-i7475349373.html?reco_id=1d04908e-9072-11e8-a1a7-b8ca3a6abcd8
     https://allegro.pl/telecom-telcza-elektrim-stary-telefon-prl-i7340241188.html?reco_id=1d04908e-9072-11e8-a1a7-b8ca3a6abcd8#thumb/2

FABphones

Whilst looking this up I came across some others, but the first two pics probably of most interest:

The first in red. Not sure if quite the same model, eBay listing number: 172800123102.

I don't know how accurate the seller's info is but they say
'Original Vintage Polish Rotary Telephone TELKOM RWT ELEKTRIM
Very Rare model STORCZYK-74 Used by the Police unit (Milicja) and KGB.
Modified Aster-72 with DIN-5 output for tape recorder'

The b/w photo shows it mounted on an old tape recorder.

Then, I found another photo, this version without a dial, shown in use by the military.

I also found a version with the extra listener on the reverse.

Doug , I have a 1979 one in yellow one.

CDN Doug

countryman

I found a quite well kept red RWT Elektrim "Storczyk" (Orchid) for only 10 € shipping included.
The grey (g) button is to hear louder, the red one (m) is to start a connected tape recorder. One DIN jack on the backside is for the signal, the other is to start the recording. There is a small light bulb (12V 20mA) behind the left clear window to indicate active recording, but the power has to come from the recording device.  I do not know of any other customer available phone with a tape jack? Recording conversations without informing the other party might even be a legal problem in some legislation.
The right bulb (with Edison screw) is a neon bulb. I measured up to 60 V at the bulb with my PABX ringing but the light does not shine up. IIRC neons will need 70 V, so lack of ringing power will be the issue. The actual ringtone is crisp and nice.
The phone seems to be made 1982. It is quite lightweight, the plastic feels like Polystyrene (there are "PS" marks as well). One could mistake it for a toy phone... which it isn't. But seriously, I do not believe the military or secret service would have used it?

Etienne

I am pretty sure the dial is an ITT design. I have a very similar one on my 500 franco-italian clone and this finger stop appears on all Face Standard phones from the 1970's- 80's.

HarrySmith

There appears to be a folded piece of paper in there. Pictured in the yellow circle. That may help identify it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"