News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Telephone Exchange - First Aid Box

Started by FABphones, April 27, 2021, 03:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

One of the more unusual GPO items in the collection, this wooden GPO Telephone Exchange First Aid Box.

Removed from a GPO Telephone Exchange when it was decommissioned, it found it's way to me and has hung almost forgotten about on the garage wall for the last 20 years +. I kept meaning to move it onto a wall in my little telephone workshop, and finally got around to taking it down this week.

The contents latest date of expiry was 1998 - already almost a quarter of a Century ago. The box itself probably more than double that in age.

Needs a bit of a tidy up - and it's little door handle has dropped off so next I'll be taking a torch and rummaging around on the garage floor trying to find it... it's chaos in there (not my domain), I could be a while...  :o
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Hey that's kinda neat, show us it's final place in your collection when it's there.
And when you say torch I have to remember that you mean light.
I kinda cringed a bit when I read torch, but then I remembered, but cool find C.J.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on April 27, 2021, 11:36:34 AM
...And when you say torch I have to remember that you mean light...

Oops, yes, a torch is a flashlight. Dare I ask - what would 'taking a torch' mean over there?  :-[

HarrySmith

That would be carrying a stick with one end on fire!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yup, Harry is correct. A torch over here is fire or a stick on fire.
I do watch some British programs and I'm always amazed at how Brits pronounce certain words.
Sometimes I still have to think about what they said so I can think and say, oh ok so they mean...
Fascinating.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 27, 2021, 12:38:32 PM
That would be carrying a stick with one end on fire!

Ah. Frankenstein comes to mind. Well, seeing the mess in there I can't say I'm not tempted ;D (just kidding).

Found a couple of metal BT flight cases in there a month or two back. Must remember to liberate them into the sunlight...

ETA: Images added. The boards are for a DX telephone system. I'll empty it out and use the case for additional storage in my workshop.

FABphones

Looking for something totally different - came across this BT (British Telecom) #4 screwdriver. Part of the set I already have safely tucked away in their BT case. Apparently this made for a good paint stirrer.  :o

Only a small re-find but many of us know what it's like to reach for a certain size screwdriver only to find it's gone missing.

Cleaned up and now rightfully back with its BT cousins!  :)