News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 466

Started by Sargeguy, May 07, 2009, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have just finished cleaning and polishing this phone.  It is completely intact except for the dial card. The cords and other parts look good.  I plan to hook up the tip and ring to test it works, and test the hold button.  The other lines will have to wait until I get a PBX. 

What type of connecting block was used for these types of phone?

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve K

Unfortunately without a KTU the hold button will not work.  The connecting blocks were ganged 44 type blocks depending on how many wires were to be connected.  Each block had 10 terminals.

Steve

Sargeguy

What is the best option to get this phone operational?  A PBX or a KTU?  With modern phones is there much of a difference?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve K

The best thing to do with your phone is use it as a single line 302.  I think you would have a hard time finding an operational 755A PBX and it wouldn't be worth it for one phone.  Those key phones are fun though and if you want one to work get either a 444 or a 464.  The second number indicates the number of buttons and the last 4 means that they are illuminated.  A 440 or 460 has the non-lighted keys.  These sets come up fairly often on eBay.  To make them work with the hold you would need a 1A KTU for each CO line.  Multiple phones will work with one 1A.  You need an extra relay to light the lamps.  The 1A relays are small an can be mounted in a 105 box which is about the size of a metal subset.

Steve

Sargeguy

Thanks!  I am opening an office in my home and plan on using that as an excuse.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu