and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French U43 in Ivory

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 23, 2013, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

Merci bien, Denis.

Countryman -
some pictures of a U43 equipped with magneto (phone currently on sale at ebay.fr)

countryman

Thanks for the photo David!
Looking over ebay.fr I just saw this similarly equipped "Laurent" at a very reasonable BIN and shipping price: 383189931684

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 18, 2019, 02:30:12 AM
Looking over ebay.fr I just saw this similarly equipped "Laurent" at a very reasonable BIN and shipping price: 383189931684

Searching for that number on French eBay gives me no results - complete or current.

If I can make a suggestion, post a link. Searching for a number doesn't always work anyway because depending on the seller's settings. it may be invisible from any other jurisdiction.

A short link is fine, like this: www.ebay.fr/itm/264499824001
( dead link 05-11-21 )

Thanks
Jack

countryman

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/383189931684 ( dead link 05-13-21 )
hope it works...

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 18, 2019, 06:42:12 AM
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/383189931684
hope it works...

That worked - thanks!

Pity about the handset.

Jack

countryman

Presumably the handset has been replaced during it's "official" service to fit a modern transmitter element?
It should have the PTT model 1924 handset, shouldn't it? That could be found. Personally, I could live with the later version.
Not going to buy this one though - first I'll have to find a better way to display my existing phones  8)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 18, 2019, 08:49:02 AM
Presumably the handset has been replaced during it's "official" service to fit a modern transmitter element?
It should have the PTT model 1924 handset, shouldn't it? That could be found. Personally, I could live with the later version.
Not going to buy this one though - first I'll have to find a better way to display my existing phones  8)

I think it's the first one I've seen with the wrong handset. Yes, it should have a Model 24 handset and I suspect a more modern replacement.

To me that handset would be like bird dung on the car windscreen right in front of me.

Jack

countryman

only that it won't disappear in the next shower  ;) ;D

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 18, 2019, 08:55:44 AM
I think it's the first one I've seen with the wrong handset.....

Jack

Here is where it gets interesting, as in all my years in France (a lot) I have never seen a Magneto Laurent with the earlier handset (called an E4). Likewise I have never seen a Dial Laurent with the later handset. And I have seen a fair few Laurents.   :)

I have half a dozen Laurents as am quite fond of them, and have spare E4 handsets, but tempting as it is to swap them over, until I find out the story of why (in my experience) the Magneto Laurents have the later handset, I won't swap them out.

Are you sure what you saw was a Magneto Laurent with an E4 - not a Dial Laurent with an E4?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 18, 2019, 02:54:54 PM
Here is where it gets interesting, as in all my years in France (a lot) I have never seen a Magneto Laurent with the earlier handset (called an E4). Likewise I have never seen a Dial Laurent with the later handset. And I have seen a fair few Laurents.   :)

I have half a dozen Laurents as am quite fond of them, and have spare E4 handsets, but tempting as it is to swap them over, until I find out the story of why (in my experience) the Magneto Laurents have the later handset, I won't swap them out.

Are you sure what you saw was a Magneto Laurent with an E4 - not a Dial Laurent with an E4?

I don't remember seeing a magneto Laurent with other than a 1924 handset. The eBay pictures I have show the 1924 handset and my own example has a 1924 handset.

Just an unusual probability density function I suppose.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 18, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
....my own example has a 1924 handset.

Could you add a photo of your Magneto Laurent to this thread please Jack. I think it would be good for future readers to see the handset in question on an actual members phone.  :)

Few questions if I may:
Does your Magneto Laurent still have the listener on the cradle at the rear?
Does your handset still have the maker plaque to front, what manufacturer name is on there?
Does it match the manufacturer name on the bottom of the Laurent?
...Photos please.

I have been piecing the history of Laurents together for a while now, your photos will help add to what I have found out so far.
This thread from last year:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21136

On the dial Laurents I see many of these handset plaques have been removed. Another oddity although I have my thoughts why. Unfortunately they are just guesses right now.

----

Old thread but apol to o.p. for going off-topic.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 19, 2019, 03:44:17 AM
Could you add a photo of your Magneto Laurent to this thread please Jack. I think it would be good for future readers to see the handset in question on an actual members phone.  :)

That'll have to wait until I find the phone - I found two dial versions, no magneto. Sorry about that.

Few questions if I may:
Does your Magneto Laurent still have the listener on the cradle at the rear?

It looks like it never had one.

Does your handset still have the maker plaque to front, what manufacturer name is on there?
Does it match the manufacturer name on the bottom of the Laurent?

The handset and the magneto are both marked AOIP. I can't remember what is written on the bottom.

I have been piecing the history of Laurents together for a while now, your photos will help add to what I have found out so far.
This thread from last year:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21136

Good idea except that I think a forum is not a good place - a wiki would be better so that the facts are there unencumbered with tangential and possibly incorrect chat.

On the dial Laurents I see many of these handset plaques have been removed. Another oddity although I have my thoughts why. Unfortunately they are just guesses right now.

I don't know why they are removed - I have seen that too but not just on Laurents. I surmise that somewhere there is an avid collector of handset tags.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 20, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
That'll have to wait until I find the phone...

If/when you come across your Magneto Laurent please remember photos (a new thread would be better).

It looks like it never had one....

As far as I am aware all Laurents had the listener at rear. Once the cradle has been removed though it does look as if they were never there. I have spares and could gift you one, but it would cost a pretty penny in shipping to send to you.

....a wiki would be better so that the facts are there unencumbered with tangential and possibly incorrect chat.

I have seen you mention this before. Would you start a new thread explaining what you have in mind and how. I can see the value but can't figure out the implementation.

...I surmise that somewhere there is an avid collector of handset tags.

;D

Western Bell

Good idea except that I think a forum is not a good place - a wiki would be better so that the facts are there unencumbered with tangential and possibly incorrect chat.

Jack,

I'm lost here, have no idea of what you have referring to in this and 2 other replies.

What's a phone wiki?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Western Bell on October 25, 2019, 10:24:17 PM
Jack,

I'm lost here, have no idea of what you have referring to in this and 2 other replies.

What's a phone wiki?

I am suggesting that a reference site should be just that - a reference.

Wikipedia is a reference site - it is a wiki constructed with Mediawiki.

Wiki:         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
Mediawiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Trying to make a reference on a forum is, in my view, less than optimal as it contains multiple often conflicting posts. I am often none the wiser having consulted such a reference.

I was simply expressing my view - other may have a different view.

Regards
Jack