News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another 251

Started by Sargeguy, May 20, 2009, 05:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A package arrived from eBay containing a thermoplastic 251 desk set dated 1945 except for the #6 dial.  The old cloth cords appear to be in great shape and it has the F1W handset.  The phone is in excellent condition overall and should clean up nicely.  It has a S-C (?) harmonic ringer which is slightly different from others I have encountered-it has a huge clapper and larger gongs.  There is also what appears to be a tube of some sort (vacuum tube?) mounted on the network.  The dial sticks out a little further than normal as well.  I plugged it in and SURPRISE it doesn't work.  There is very little hope that it will eventually ring, but it should work without too much trouble.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan

It appears to be a frequency ringer. I don't know how to make these ring. I replaced mine with a regular ringer.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

That would explain the difference.  I have enough 302s around that I don't need to make this one ring so I will keep it as is.  It will complement my 302 with the harmonic ringer.  There was a really thick gasket behind the dial which made it stick out.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409