News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Starlite!

Started by Mark Stevens, September 07, 2008, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Have y'all (that's Texan) seen the pink Automatic Electric Starlite on eBay? It's eBay auction #330267049624, and runs out this evening!  For some reason I just love those phones...

Dennis Markham

That is a nice looking phone.  They didn't all have the power cord to illuminate the dial.  Those will generally bring more money.  As you know the Starlite was A.E.'s version of the Princess.  That power cord was an alternative to the transformer needed to illuminate the dials on the Princess phone.  A collector had a white one for sale at a telephone show last winter that was in mint condition.  He wanted $100 for it.  I wish I had bought it but at the time it wasn't really a phone that interested me.  I have a couple of them, one aqua and one called Seafoam Green, AE's version of turquoise.  I'm thinking that pink one is bound for Texas.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 07, 2008, 02:17:35 PMI'm thinking that pink one is bound for Texas.

Does that mean you're sending it to me after you win the auction?  WOO-HOO!!!  You're a pal, Dennis!  ;D

bingster

These are nifty phones. I've always liked the contrast of the dial surround, compared to the colored body.  While the Princess looks a little delicate, the Starlite is a bit more masculine, given the more severe styling.  It's a phone a guy wouldn't mind having on the bedside table. 

The ad you have, Mark,  with the three different AE models in one photo, shows that a group of these AEs makes for quite the pretty picture
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

The plastic on the Starlite is much thicker or heavier than the Princess too.  Those Princess shells are so thin that it can be easily cracked.  Simply picking it up with one hand and squeezing it can crack the shell.  So many of them are cracked on the end when they were pulled off the table too.  In many of the advertisements the user is shown holding the Princess in the palm of one hand while holding the handset with the other.  I have to vote for the styling of the Princess over the Starlite if I had to pick one.

TIPandRING

I like Starlites, and have plenty of 'em. What's not to like about space-aged electroluminscent lighting?

Mark Stevens

Quote from: TIPandRING on September 14, 2008, 09:51:00 PM
I like Starlites, and have plenty of 'em. What's not to like about space-aged electroluminscent lighting?

Yea... I like the way you think!  Your custom-painted avatar has been completed and installed!
- Mark