News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson type 1931 wall phone, Rotterdam phone company

Started by Matilo Telephones, January 21, 2014, 04:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

Today I received this telephone. It is an Ericsson type 1931 wall Phone from the Rotterdam Municipal Telephone company.

This company existed untill 1945 when it was absorbed into the PTT.

Typical for the Rotterdam Ericssons is that they almost all have the mother in law receiver.

It is a very rare telephone, especially in an Original state. Most of them were converted in the 50ies by the PTT. The handset was changed to a newer model, complying with the then current standards, and the mother in law receiver was removed.

The desktop version is easier to find, but suffers from the same conversion issues.

This one seems to be mostly Original. Original receiver, with metal plates, Original handset with Original transmitter. It even has an Original cord for the mil receiver. (Hmmm, mil? Should I really be using this abbreviation?)

Strange material, this cord. It was made of a plastic material, covered with cloth. Through the years it has deteriorated to a sort of semi liquid pitch like material. It isn´t rubber. Don´t know what it was. It leaves drops and smears all over the Phone.

The handset has a newer, pre war, green replacement cord. In good state.

Insides not messed about with, datestamp 42 38. Week 42 of 1938 or week 38 of 1942.

Bakelite is very good. No breaks, cracks, scratches. And very nice nickel plated details.

I love this design. And it was only 25 euro with 6,75 shipping. Seller threw in an old receiver from 1954. If it works, it will come in handy. Together with my other finds, a very good start of 2014!
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Very nice.
Dave

poplar1

de schoonmoeder?...what is the extra receiver called in Norway?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

I have occasionally been searching various eBay sites for these, wall or desk. Congrats.

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 21, 2014, 04:27:50 PM
Strange material, this cord. It was made of a plastic material, covered with cloth. Through the years it has deteriorated to a sort of semi liquid pitch like material. It isn´t rubber. Don´t know what it was. It leaves drops and smears all over the Phone.

Does it smell?  Perhaps a foul odor?
I am wondering if it is Duprene,  a polychloroprene, which was later known as Neoprene. It was invented about the design year and since your phone is a few years older, it's quite possible that it is what was used.
I can't think of another early plastic that had the consistency of rubber.
Neoprene is well known to decompose, and we have discussed in this forum the corrosion this sometimes causes around Neoprene feet on telephones.

Matilo Telephones

Thanks guys.

Schoonmoeder?? Svigermor mottager????

Strange that a lot of people seem to think that the mother in law reciever is for listening in/eaves dropping. As if a caller wouldn´t notice somebody standing next to him holding the extre receiver.

This is somewhat of a rare Phone here, especially the Rotterdam version in its Original state. The table version is more common. I have 2 of these wall phones. I´ll restore them both and keep te best one.

The cord doesn´t seem to have a smell, so I do not think it is neoprene.

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones