News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new 1931 Spanish Ericsson!

Started by Spanish_phones, March 20, 2014, 07:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spanish_phones

Hi there everybody! Specially to Matilo, which I know really like this model ;)

I have just received today this almost new Ericsson. I'm extremly happy, because is a Spanish one! Made in my city, Madrid, maybe 80 years ago. Also the wiring diagram is written in Spanish! Also the logo on the case isn't LM Ericsson, but CE Ericsson.

It is in perfect shape and working really well. The only thing that I see is it has really big bells, but it doesn't sound so loud. I tryed separating the bells with the excentric screw, but it was worse... abyway, I'm in love with it!

Matilo, I haven'y found any date on it, could you tell me aprox. it's date? Curly handset cord and line straight cord are original too

Matilo Telephones

Very nice telephone, Iñaki! The shine on it is really great. You haven't polished it yet?

I have never seen a Spanish one, but it is almost identical to the Swedish one, accept for the logo.

What does CE stand for? Do you know?

Also Ericsson Madrid on the handset is a very nice detail.

As for the date, of course I do not know much about the evolution of the details of Spanish phones. But here curly cords were introduced in the mid sixties. By then this type was no longer in production. Its successor, the type 1951 was.

So curly cords, if original, would mean it is a later one.

Also the plungers are of a later kind. Older ones are made of nickel plated brass. See pic of one of mine. It is marked Plaatselijke Telefoondienst Amsterdam (Amsterdam Municipal Telephone Department).

So on the basis of that I would guess it is not older than 1950-55.

Most dials have a date on the outer edge. It is now covered by the bakelite housing. You need to take it out, to see. It is a four digit code XX XX. It is YY MM or MM YY. I always forget which is which.

Also the capacitor may give you a clue, but that is hard to get at.

Is there a date on the transmitter? Is there a seperate receiver unit? Or a diaphragm (metal plate)?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Spanish_phones

Really strange,  isn't it?

I have no clue about whats CE Ericsson means...

Then, about the cords question, I supposed they are original. I dind't understand why my type 1951 has straight rubber cords, and the 1931 has the curly one...  ???

I noticed the plungers, are made of bakelite instead of nikel plated brass I just thougt may be curly cords and bakelite plungers were made earlier en Spain. Or the opposite, this model could be a 30's one, but sold in the 60's...

Anyway, the transmitter has no dates, and I cannot open the receiver cap :(

And I'm not going to polish it, I like its original shinning ;)

Matilo Telephones

Strange indeed. In Holland the last one of this type was made in 1950-1951, but in Sweden I think it was 1947.

This phone was not supplied to the National telephone company, right? This was for a private installation?

It could be that the customer ordered curly cords.

CE is a puzzle.

http://www.ericssonhistory.com/places/europe/Spain/

This doesn't give any info on that. How would you say Ericsson Company in Spanish? Compania Ericsson or Ericsson Compania? (Or something like that, pardon my Español). Io hablar solemento un poco poco piceño Espagnol.

Well, all in all a very intersting phone.

They do have various mouthpieces and the handset has various insides. Yours does not seem to have the big tube of the early ones. I am interested in what type handset it is. If you have the opportunity, can you post some pics of the mouthpiece and inside of the mouth piece cavity?
Groeten,

Arwin

Spanish_phones

Of course not! CTNE only made their own telephones! But I know Ericsson used to sell telephones in Spain in the 50's and 60's, but I thought they were imported. I think this model is reeeally strange, because it seems to be made in Spain. As I can read on the link you posted, Ericsson had a factory in Madrid, so this telephone is original, great!

As you said, I think the logo might be "Compañía Española Ericsson" , so the CE make sense

And here you are the pics of the handset ;)It has a inclined transmitter cap, with holes in it,and not the big tube as you said. I will make a post of the other Ericsson I have to see the differences ;)

Matilo Telephones

Thanks! The ones with the speaking tube are of the older type. There is a bigger one (never seen one in Holland) and a smaller one.

The inclined one seems to be of a later type. Possibly because transmitters got more sensetive over time, so a tube was no longer needed.

There is a narrow and a wide variant of the handset, but that is impossible to distinguish from the pic. I'll see if I can make a pic of both of them,

Here is a pic of the older diafragm type.
Groeten,

Arwin

dsk

Nice thread, nice phones!

It seems like the last one of this model was made in Norway in 1953. Curly cords was available from the 30'ies but the plastic version was not common before 1953 here. 
It would be nice if you could fill out whats missing in this thread:  http://tinyurl.com/q8fvd2t

dsk