News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 4C DIAL??

Started by mark9564, January 22, 2015, 12:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9564

Can't find any info on a 4C dial only on a 4H???

unbeldi

4C.   Rare indeed, but not unknown.   I believe the only variety of these was the 4CB,  the same as a 2CB (electrically), only with a new finger stop and dial plate.
It has the same switch pileup as a 2A dial.

It was intended for linemen's hand-held test sets.  I don't know for sure, but I think the 4C was only made by conversion from a 2C. (apparently not).

mark9564

I did pull it from an old linesman phone that I picked up. Will it still work as any other 4h dial?

unbeldi

Quote from: mark9564 on January 22, 2015, 01:10:13 PM
I did pull it from an old linesman phone that I picked up. Will it still work as any other 4h dial?

It depends.   The 4C was tuned to a little higher dial speed, that's the reason for the separate designation. You have to test it on your lines. A dial speed tester would be the best equipment to use.

The best place for it would be in the test set,  :D

unbeldi

Quote from: mark9564 on January 22, 2015, 12:40:33 PM
Can't find any info on a 4C dial only on a 4H???

The 4HB-3 would have been indeed the standard replacement for the 4C, and probably the device for new handsets in the 30s.  I have to see if the catalogs say something about that.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on January 22, 2015, 12:50:36 PM
4C.   Rare indeed, but not unknown.   I believe the only variety of these was the 4CB,  the same as a 2CB (electrically), only with a new finger stop and dial plate.
It has the same switch pileup as a 2A dial.

It was intended for linemen's hand-held test sets.  I don't know for sure, but I think the 4C was only made by conversion from a 2C.

This dial is dated I 37 and has a parkerized casing, as all dials made from III 34 have, so I don't think it is a conversion. No parkerized 2-type dials have been reported, and no 2-type dials later than III 32.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Perhaps Mark can provide us with pictures of the side of the dial where the finger stop is.  If it's a conversion there should be evidence of the old mounting thread holes.

I started checking the catalogs, but none of the 30s catalogs—well, I have only one—show the 4C dial.  The 1929 catalog didn't show the 2C dial anymore either, but I think it was in the early 20s catalogs.

The 1935 catalog states that the 4H dial would be used for lineman's handsets (p.78):  The 4H Type Dials are intended for use at subscriber stations and Private Branch Exchange switchboards and with repairmen's handsets.
The card catalog states that the replacement for 4C is a 4HB-3, so time-wise it seems a bit odd that the dial would be new in 1937.

I suspect it's a refurbishing date.  It doesn't quite look parkerized to me, actually. I would expect it to look  darker.  This looks shinier and has the varnish applied to provide a foundation for the stamps which look a bit blurry, not factory clean.  The dial overall looks rather new though.

mark9564

Hope this helps

unbeldi

Sure does.  I cannot make out any screw holes on the side, so the dial was not a NO. 2 previously.
Here is some lighting enhancement for the image.

The number plate is in great shape. very nice.  It's the cellulose acetate layered type, still in use at the time.

unbeldi

Are there any dates on the handset ?

mark9564

Here is the only thing on the handset. I would be willing to trade the whole thing for a  decent 4H dial.

Doug Rose

Never seen one, I have only harvested a 4h or a #2 Twice from these buttsets. I have seen a pic of a 4J, never owned one. Great find...if it is going to another home....this is a good home!....Doug
Kidphone

mark9564

Here is the handset

unbeldi

The handset is a D-specification, there were a lot of these with various types of plugs and wiring schemes for specific purposes.

See BSP 100-120-101 Issue 7, for example.