News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Old Stock Stromberg Calson 1244

Started by Doug Rose, March 02, 2015, 08:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this auction for a SC1244, basically empty inside. I did not have a Dial 1243 in my collection as I could never find one with decent paint. I do have a really nice manual set. This is perfect...untouched.  I had a NOS AE dial and and a very nice 1243 base. The black cloth cords still have the tags on them. I needed the SC dial card for another phone so this was a win win for me.

Not sexy like some of the other phones that have been recently found, but is sure looks good to me. Hard to beat for $9.95 and a parts I had. I still cannot understand why collectors love a WE302 (as I do) but turn their back on this classic phone. Love those cut corners..Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311295111659
Kidphone

unbeldi

A 1244 should indeed not have a dial. It is only a manual extension set.

Here is a compilation of the later 1200 combined telephone sets, similar to WECo 300-series in appearance.

1222:  desk set similar to WECo 302, manual, discrete components
1223:  like 1222, but for dial service
1224:  like 1222, extension set, also for use with desk set boxes (e.g.,1230)
[1230: desk set box]
1233:  hangup type
1242:  desk set like 1222, but with the first all-in-one network, manual
1243:  desk set like 1243, but for dial service
1244:  desk set, manual only, extension, also use with 1230, 1260 or 1268 desk set box
1247:  desk set, LBT-CBS set
1248:  desk set with integrated magneto
1250:  equivalent wall telephone
1258:  wall telephone with magneto
[1260:  desk set box]
[1268:  magneto desk set box]

PS: updated... Q: did they have any other 1250 members?

Doug Rose

Agreed....it is now a 1243 with a dial. This baby just shines! It is really tough to get these with good original paint. I don't know if it was the paint SC used or the metal, they are usually battered....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Nice looking phone.  It's really hard to find a stromberg with good paint, and even harder to find one with good cords.  Almost every SC desk phone I've purchased need a new cord because they are dry rotted.  Black cloth cords are even better.
Dave

dsk

A fascinating phone.  I guess we'll never could agree in whats the best etc...
The most beautiful design are for me  (at my desk): the black AE40 without chrome. (and it works great) The SC 1244 are looking better than the 302 even when the 302 are a good design, an improvement of the "Scandinavian model" or LME DBH1001.  The Redbar (Kellogg 1000) are nice too

Still when it comes to have a robust reliable simple standard telephone the 302 wins!

On my desk I have the AE40, beside my bed, I have my metal 302.

dsk

Doug Rose

Honestly, I have no idea why I am so excited about a fairly common phone that no one wants....but I am. I agree with Dave as you never find these with good cords and the paint is always a mess. Its like SC used poor paint  or the metal body would just not let it adhere to it. To never have had one in my collection, even repainted does say something...not sure what  8) I never actively looked for one either. I do have a brass one that I found years ago on the cheap, $20 on eBay with brass bands on the handset. No one wants them!! ........But the black is just so cool, they way it was supposed to be.

I told Jan never to but one at a yard sale or a flea market, unless they were perfect. I do have a few $1 specials that she got, but they just lie there on a shelf in the dungeon.

It looks like a 302, but then again it doesn't. An SC is no way in quality of the WE302, but with an AE dial it is cool. I do like the heft of the huge bakelite handset.

Second to last open slot in the new phone room was taken by this. One to go and then back to one in....one out....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Western Electric spent a great deal on research into corrosion protection, sherardizing, paint finishes, japaning, etc., so it's no wonder that their finishes are the longest lasting. It was in self-interest to protect their investment.  Somewhere I read that they estimated that they lost several million dollars every year due to corrosion—I think this was in the 30s.

PS: here is a 1243 that has a too perfect paint job:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/191526035501