"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1955 Ivory 302—A rare breed: 302GR-50

Started by unbeldi, March 28, 2015, 10:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on July 07, 2017, 07:39:56 PM
The housing and solid plungers must have been factory made, since they were unlike the 1941-42 or the 1949-54 color 302s. However, I believe these sets must have been assembled at the Western Electric repair shops.

These were indeed assembled in the shops from bases and other components recycled from returns.

What kind of switch hook assembly is installed ?  With spring or without ?

You might simply want to sand the handset and paint it.  Somewhere I posted a paint that perfectly matches the ivory tone of the 202 Continentals. It will be somewhat off-color to the CAB housing, but that is the way these were apparently.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: unbeldi on July 07, 2017, 10:38:52 PM
Because it would have confirmed installation in 1955, most likely.  F4 handsets were not available before, and the BA-760726 handset was used instead for situations where the zoning required it.
But F4 handsets were only used on long loops so it seems unlikely that a set picked at random would have one.

unbeldi

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 07, 2017, 11:47:51 PM
But F4 handsets were only used on long loops so it seems unlikely that a set picked at random would have one.
That's true.  But Poplar was only grasping for a straw in hope to get a set with an original handset. Finding any 302 of this late a date with an F4 handset is rather rare, probably in itself collectable, let alone a colored CAB set.  F4 handsets can be found more frequently on 200-type D and G handset mountings.

The usual indication is a handset cord of 1955 and refill or test dates on the transmitter.

Other than the BSP citing, nobody apparently has ever seen a two-tone 302G(R)-50A.

It is nice for historical documentation that this set was actually marked 302G—50.

I am curious about the date of the housing.  Most appear to have been marked January 1955.

Also, the dial still has the older dotted number plate, P-340016. Let's see whether it is from I-54 or even later.   Dials on these are often dated in 1955 as well, with a 164 plate, but don't have to be.

poplar1

Housing date is difficult to read, but I believe it is 1 ?? 55 1.
Black handset is "60" (6/40); rec. unit is 6-13-40; xmtr. unit is 12/39 (no updates). H3AG cord is '53.
As expected, no extra spring on the switch hook.
Have not yet removed dial or finger wheel to check dates.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on July 10, 2017, 09:04:19 PM
Housing date is difficult to read, but I believe it is 1 ?? 55 1.
Black handset is "60" (6/40); rec. unit is 6-13-40; xmtr. unit is 12/39 (no updates). H3AG cord is '53.
As expected, no extra spring on the switch hook.
Have not yet removed dial or finger wheel to check dates.

Another January 1955 housing.  This makes it about a half dozen observed housings molded that same month, with no other months observed because of lack of reporting.  This includes Jon's set stamped 1 1 54, which I declared a procedural mistake and should probably be 1 3 55, the first work day (Monday) of 1955.

The H3AG cords were used until at least 1957 on black handsets.  It is theoretically possible that the refurbishing shop in 1955 had still some 1953 cords stocked, but it is perhaps stretching that idea a little.  However, most 302s by that time were replaced with 500 sets and not refurbished. That is likely the reason for these CAB sets and most definitely the reason for the 5302 later the same year.
But since this distribution center went to the trouble of stamping the bottom with a —50 code, they probably would have stamped it —50A if it had been indeed a two-tone set.
Most likely the handset was attached later.

Was the handset cord hooked and routed out the exit hole in the proper manner as practiced by WECo and knowledgeable installers ?
PS:  Oh, looking at the auction pics, the line cord is modular, so all bets are off; the handset was most likely installed by the line cord installer to make a working set.

RDPipes

I just came across one of these WE 302GR-50's like Karl was speaking of.
Got it cleaned up and it looks pretty good, only wish the handset was in better condition.
But I reckon what can one expect from a painted handset that's 68 years old or more?
Maybe I should mention the shell is dated 55 in yellow while H1 is in red, dial 55, cords 55 & 54. Handset elements 50 & 47
and the base and all components seem to be dated 47.

MMikeJBenN27

There was one of these on E-Bay a couple of years ago, but it was dated 1953.  It was green, but the same green as a green 500 and had a green painted black handset.  I thought it was a Frankenphone, but others told me that it is the real thing.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on July 23, 2023, 12:14:30 AMThere was one of these on E-Bay a couple of years ago, but it was dated 1953.  It was green, but the same green as a green 500 and had a green painted black handset.  I thought it was a Frankenphone, but others told me that it is the real thing.

Mike

All the dash 50 (-50) ivory 302s reported on this forum have housings dated 1955, and matching  painted handsets (over black Bakelite), and reused bases.  I suspect that the dash 51 (-51) green 302 housings are also dated 1955.

The 1955 BSPs for 302s in the 500 colors show only black handsets on these -- for example, 302 GR-50A. However, no one on this forum has reported finding one of these two--tone 302s. (The A suffix indicates two-tone.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on July 23, 2023, 03:24:32 AMAll the dash 50 (-50) ivory 302s reported on this forum have housings dated 1955, and matching  painted handsets (over black Bakelite), and reused bases.  I suspect that the dash 51 (-51) green 302 housings are also dated 1955.

The 1955 BSPs for 302s in the 500 colors show only black handsets on these -- for example, 302 GR-50A. However, no one on this forum has reported finding one of these two--tone 302s. (The A suffix indicates two-tone.)

Dave, I thought I read and seen (photo) where you had found a ivory 302 with a black F1 on it, I'm sure I did
just recently.

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on July 23, 2023, 12:14:30 AMThere was one of these on E-Bay a couple of years ago, but it was dated 1953.  It was green, but the same green as a green 500 and had a green painted black handset.  I thought it was a Frankenphone, but others told me that it is the real thing.

Mike

I thought the same thing when I got it Mike, in fact I was cleaning up and polishing a thermoplastic Ivory handset I had from a parts phone to swap out the painted handset when I was told by Karl no, no, no, it supposed to be that way and directed me here to this thread. Hey and the Long Distance number card you see is the original that was flipped over in the dial preserving it and is dated 1953.

LarryInMichigan

I posted a few years ago about one of these I found: forum link.

Larry

RDPipes

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 23, 2023, 07:01:10 AMI posted a few years ago about one of these I found: forum link.

Larry
Nice on Larry, your handset looks in better shape then mine too.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 24, 2023, 07:58:44 AMIs the case painted as well?

No sir, it's made of the same thermoplastic as the 500 series are Harry, I believe CAB and it's in the
500 color -50.