News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I've got ivory!!

Started by Buzby, December 16, 2015, 12:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzby

Although not a Number 1 Uniphone. Or a phone, really.

Was tootling around ebay at the weekend, when an interesting lot caught my eye. I was looking at the AE50, and initially thought that it could be painted, then toyed with the idea that it might actually be an ivory, dismissed it as stupid, then thought that the lot could be good for spares. And wondered what the hell that metal thing was. I decided to take a punt.

So I bid and won.

Opening the box today, I was delighted to find that it is an ivory AE50, although a little worse for wear. I was a little less delighted to find that all of the innards are missing, including the transmitter and receiver.

The 302 seems intact-ish, although there is evidence of snippage, and there's some cord in there with a jack plug.

The handset with the metal thing is also devoid of transmitter and receiver. Anyone know what it is?

I paid $40, plus $20 shipping, and now have the opportunity to try and make an ivory AE50.

Not bad for $40

Birdman115

What a find!  The AE 50 can be up and running easily.  The parts are available for purchase.  You might get in touch with Ron and Mary Knappen at Phoneco.  They are trying to sell their business and divest themselves of stock.  This looks like a fun project for the winter.  I noticed that the handset cord is an Extensicord, the original most likely, and that by itself is worth $50, at least.  The parts for the others can be had as well.  Congratulations are a great find!  --Kevin

Buzby

Quote from: Birdman115 on December 16, 2015, 01:24:43 PM
  This looks like a fun project for the winter.

I seem to be racking up the projects. All I need now is the snow!

Quote from: Birdman115 on December 16, 2015, 01:24:43 PMI noticed that the handset cord is an Extensicord, the original most likely, and that by itself is worth $50, at least.  The parts for the others can be had as well.  Congratulations are a great find!  --Kevin

It's not an extensicord, but a nice long braided cord, and one of the few remaining features of what once was a phone.

Babybearjs

I saw that auction.... I passed on it.... post pictures of the AE 50 once you get it all cleaned up.... I'd like to see the results....
John

Buzby

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 16, 2015, 10:29:38 PM
I saw that auction.... I passed on it.... post pictures of the AE 50 once you get it all cleaned up.... I'd like to see the results....

You probably made a smart move.

I'll certainly post pics as I move through this. I'd like to know exactly what sort of plastic I'm dealing with here. The wall plate is warped, and the case has (at least) 2 cracks around the dial area. it's also looking a little warped down the flanks.

Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some cheap AE50 innards so it can become a telephone.

What's this case made of exactly? Catalin, Tenite?

unbeldi

Quote from: Buzby on December 16, 2015, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: Babybearjs on December 16, 2015, 10:29:38 PM

You probably made a smart move.

I'll certainly post pics as I move through this. I'd like to know exactly what sort of plastic I'm dealing with here. The wall plate is warped, and the case has (at least) 2 cracks around the dial area. it's also looking a little warped down the flanks.

Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some cheap AE50 innards so it can become a telephone.

What's this case made of exactly? Catalin, Tenite?

I believe that Automatic Electric was first among the telephone makers to use Tenite varieties, or more generally cellulose acetate acetate. Tenite is an Eastman Kodak trademark, not sure that AE actually used Eastman's products. These acetates are known to shrink considerably, see for example here for a clear version.
Later Tenite versions, such as those used by WECo in the 500 sets at first, were cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB), or Tenite II by Eastman, that didn't shrink.

Catalin is based on the Bakelite process, and it should be easy to test for it.  The perhaps simplest test is to use a very hot needle and try to poke it in an area where there is damage already.  As Catalin is a thermoset, it won't melt, while Tenite does.
For undamaged parts, use Google for chemical tests, e.g., the Simichrome polish test, but other household cleaners work too.  They turn a white cloth yellow or brown when rubbed on phenolic resins.

But in any case, I don't believe that complex articles like telephone housings were ever made from Catalin.  It was mostly used for small simple pieces, such as designer jewelry, decorations, etc.  It was also far more brittle than Bakelite proper.

Buzby

Quote from: unbeldi on December 17, 2015, 10:42:09 AM

....... I don't believe that complex articles like telephone housings were ever made from Catalin.  It was mostly used for small simple pieces, such as designer jewelry, decorations, etc.  It was also far more brittle than Bakelite proper.

You are correct.

I carried out the hot pin test, and it went through the back of the case.

LarryInMichigan

I would expect that the phone is tenite, and I am sure that it is worth quite a bit.  If you list it on ebay now, as it is, I would expect it to go for $500+.  I am anxious to see how it looks after restoration.  Being that it is tenite, the method of dissolving some plastic with MEK and filling in the cracks should work.

Had I noticed that auction, I would probably have the project to do now.

Larry

Buzby

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 17, 2015, 02:12:05 PM
I would expect that the phone is tenite, and I am sure that it is worth quite a bit.  If you list it on ebay now, as it is, I would expect it to go for $500+. 

:o ¡Ay, caramba!

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 17, 2015, 02:12:05 PMI am anxious to see how it looks after restoration.  Being that it is tenite, the method of dissolving some plastic with MEK and filling in the cracks should work.

Had I noticed that auction, I would probably have the project to do now.

Larry

I've got a bit of research and reading to do on this.

Given it a quick clean to see what it's like. Here's a couple of pictures of the case now.

HarrySmith

Great find! The color 50's are not easy to find! Looks to have cleaned up pretty nice. Whatever it takes to restore it will be worth it, they go for big bucks! Somewhere here is a list of recent sales of certain phones, the 50 is there, check it out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Buzby

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 18, 2015, 10:11:26 PM
Great find! The color 50's are not easy to find! Looks to have cleaned up pretty nice. Whatever it takes to restore it will be worth it, they go for big bucks! Somewhere here is a list of recent sales of certain phones, the 50 is there, check it out.

Not going to be selling it, Harry.

I also hope to restore it to its former glory.............once I work out how to compensate for shrinkage................make it more appealing..........try to address how warped it has become............get rid of the smell.

I'm sure most of that will be taken care of once grandma leaves.  ;)