News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TrimLine question

Started by AL_as_needed, November 25, 2016, 04:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

So at a local shop today I saw a white rotary trimline for 15$. Now normally im not interested in trimline style phones but this one seemed to stand out and Id like some opinions before I totally write it off.

So here goes:
The phone was set up to be a wall mount, had the wall mount plate adapter (3-77). It had a modular cord that plugged into the handset at a 90 degree off-set, as in the plug was in the base of the hanset, just the lock tab was off to the side, not the top. Secondly the base itself had a square top, similar to a 554 with squared off wings. Is that standard? and lastly, the part that really caught my eye was the "bell system property,  not for sale" marking was hand stamped with a heated brander. the letters were uneven and at varied depths, definitely not done on a stamping  line.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated, I dont want to let a potentially unique piece fall by the wayside.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

It sounds like an early fat mod set with mini-mod wall plate adapter. The square top is a handset holder , like the shoulder creases on a 554.

The hand stamping is unusual. On the 3 pieces of housing plastic on the trimline. The only marking is on the inner handset plastic (by the cord).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are lots more variations to trimlines than most collector realize.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AL_as_needed

I figured the squared top served as that, use my 554 on "hold" all the time, and yes that was the location of the odd stamping. If i can maybe ill pick it up (assuming its there).
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

So it was still there in the store and I took the leap, have pictures (will post down the line) and the inside was nasty! Seems to be a '68/'69 phone that was reworked several times, as late as the mid 80's.

A quick test prior to tear down and the receiver element was very very quiet. Any suggestions/ tips on trim-lines? These are new territory for me, way more condensed than the 500s and 302s.

Oh and dont oven treat a curly cord on a plastic dowel.....livin and learnin  ::)
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

I have never tried repairing a trimline .
Early on the field procedure for   repairing a trimline was to replace the bad part "handset or base". The the handsets or bases were returned to the factory for repair and return to the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking trimline in  the TCI library and was able to pull up some bsp's

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/component/search/?searchword=trimline&ordering=alpha&searchphrase=all

JMO,
Jim S.

BTW You can swap any trimline handset to any trimline base.

There are 2 basic types of trimline handsets incandescent and LED.
The incandescent sets need a transformer for lighting the dial.
The LED are line powered.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Typically the "fat mod" housings indicate incandescent lighting. Most round button handsets (10 & 12) are incandescent
I have a 10/78 rotary "fat mod" handset that is LED. The LED is in the same place as the incandescen
Fat mod housings can have Fat Mod Cords, or adapters for mini mod.
The fat mod line cords came in matching color and HW end or in a gray fat mod mini-mod cord.

A LED rotary set will have LED printed under the finger-stop. (Typically "standard" size mod  on  handset)
A" square button" handset is LED.

If it is incandescent lighting (round button)  Under the  back cover of the phone, it should have the date of the flexible board printed on it.
On the LED sets  (LED under fingerstop, TT square button sets) You  can find the date under the screw cover it is printed on the board.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Use care when replacing the screw cover. I would take a glass of very hot tap water and "soak" the screw cover for a minute or two. Then pop it back in place before it cools.
If you break it you can replace it with a number card plastic.
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 30, 2016, 08:09:57 PM
Oh and dont oven treat a curly cord on a plastic dowel.....livin and learnin  ::)

We LOVE photos -- especially "after photos" showing learning experiences like this!

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

AL_as_needed

First thing is first, Pictures! I do have the cord that came with this phone, however at the time I took these, another comic error of mine was a-brewing....more on that later.  :D

TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

Also here is the picture of what caught my eye to begin with. Now im used to seeing this sort of thing on my G1s etc, but those are molded cleanly into the plastic. This is uneven and almost looks like an after thought.

Quote from: paul-f on November 30, 2016, 11:00:46 PM
We LOVE photos -- especially "after photos" showing learning experiences like this!

So here is my story and Im sticking to it! Had good luck with smaller cords in the past but the trimline cord is like a big snake, just keeps going. So thinking back to CRPF info, figured id try the oven......

Now this is what we could call a "brain fart", the cord was wrapped around the rod and wired into place as the oven was on its lowest setting. As i was getting into the guts of the trimline, i noticed an odd smell.....oops!.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 01, 2016, 09:40:21 AM
Also here is the picture of what caught my eye to begin with. Now im used to seeing this sort of thing on my G1s etc, but those are molded cleanly into the plastic. This is uneven and almost looks like an after thought.

So here is my story and Im sticking to it! Had good luck with smaller cords in the past but the trimline cord is like a big snake, just keeps going. So thinking back to CRPF info, figured id try the oven......

Now this is what we could call a "brain fart", the cord was wrapped around the rod and wired into place as the oven was on its lowest setting. As i was getting into the guts of the trimline, i noticed an odd smell.....oops!.

That is the standard marking on a Bell System trimline. I think it is a painted housing, that is why the lettering isn't crisp.
. Inside of the handset back cover is probably a "C" molded in the plastic. This would be recycled plastic. Later "C" sets were painted the same color as the plastic, this was to keep the color consistant.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

19and41

One bit of warning, the traces on the handsets' flex circuit are quite brittle and can break easily.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Thanks  Jim for the info, got it running like a clock now. I love phones, I like WE designs and mechanics, but I don't how some of you that are big into trimlines do it.

Quote from: 19and41 on December 01, 2016, 02:14:32 PM
One bit of warning, the traces on the handsets' flex circuit are quite brittle and can break easily.

and yeah after really looking at that circuit "board", its quite the set-up. Lucky for me the tab inside the transmitter cap is what was bent/broken, which was an easy fix.

Lastly, despite the fun had with plastic in the oven and a loop reversal, the cord is good as new.
TWinbrook7

19and41

They've come a long way since those.  The ones I work with are thinner than aluminum foil and sandwiched between mylar sheeting.  A lot less possible to tear or break.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

A lot of long-time collectors ignore trimlines as too modern. I think trimlines are sleepers. The trimline design won awards  when it was introduced and the design was heavily copied over the years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The early trimlines are hitting 50 years old now and pre-1984 trimlines  are over 30 years old and  are still  easy to find .
No one has ever put together a (public)  list of the various circuit boards and component variations of the trimlines.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beside handset variations, there were quite a few base variations. I am only talking changes in design over time. There were also some design line bases (Noteworthy).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are also  odd sets like hospital sets (very scare F# sets), 2-line, A-Lead, ect. There are cord variations like "Message waiting" cords. The fat mod cords also came in 4 or 5 conductor. The 5 conductor cords were used for Tip-party identification (party line).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO,
Jim S.

BTW My favorite trimlines are the round button sets with color mask.
You live, You learn,

paul-f

Quote from: Jim S. on December 01, 2016, 07:29:56 PM
No one has ever put together a (public)  list of the various circuit boards and component variations of the trimlines.

Good point, Jim.

This gap has come up several times in several forums.

While we're waiting for someone to collect and format the information, let's collect what we know in one place.

Here's a place to do it...
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17182.0

I've started by listing some sources I frequently use and have attempted to cover some of your points, including sets that use Trimline Handsets.  I'm sure there are a lot more.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line