News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RED D-1

Started by Pourme, January 18, 2017, 09:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

As I don't have step by step pics of this project, I struggled as to where to post this. If I made the wrong choice feel free to move it, DP.

I have wanted a very red D-1 for a very long time. I had on the shelf a D-1 body in bad shape. (pic) The paint was in awful condition. This was part of my "Craigslist Bonanza" from last year. http://tinyurl.com/jy72a5r There were no guts and I had several F1 handsets as well as a couple of dials to choose from from the same purchase. I ordered black cloth cords, mini network and a warbler from OPW Phoneco. I bought some faux black leather material from Hobby Lobby for the base. (pic)

This project combined several processes for me to tackle, non of which I am experienced and competent in. I have a ultra sonic cleaner, but had never used it to clean a dial. I didn't completely disassemble the dial, as that is still above my pay grade. I stripped it down as much as i felt comfortable and cleaned, lubed and adjusted it. I painted the finger wheel.

My biggest regret involves the painting of the body. I prefer Rustolem paint but could't find the shade red I wanted. I used Valspar. (pic) This would have probably been fine if I had baked it in the oven. The paint became damaged in a few places while handling it. It stayed tacky for a long time. At some point I may sand it a bit, repaint and bake it. Right now I don't feel up to the disassembly required to do so.

Salvaging parts and making this a working phone was a fun experience. Installing the mini network was the process I was most apprehensive about. Following the directions found on this forum was much less complicated than I anticipated. The most challenging part of this was packaging the network in the extremely limited space inside the phone, and having enough room for the hook switch to move! Glad I didn't choose a B-1! Needless to say, thinking I'd have enough room for the warbler as well, was naive. I see that now. I had never held a mini net or warbler in my hand and had no idea what I would be able to do.

In the end I am pleased with the results. I now have a red D-1 that works anywhere i plug it in.

I have a idea how to wire the warbler. I have a antique toy phone I'm thinking about using as a housing for display. Is there a diagram on the forum that shows me where to wire the warbler in? Just a thought. I'm still searching for that information.

Thanks for reading!

Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Really sharp looking Benny!  Paint looks great.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Very Cool! Looks good!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Thanks Doug, Harry.

It's the first time I had a vision of what I wanted and created it from parts.

Very satisfying.
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks great!

Now you need a matching two tone Red 500! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Babybearjs

now that you know how to do it..... you can get another and paint it blue, and another yellow, and another green, and so on.... great job! I might just join you on the painting quest....as I'm getting tired of Black!
John

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 18, 2017, 10:39:00 PM
Looks great!

Now you need a matching two tone Red 500! ;)

Not a bad idea, Christian!
Benny

oldguy

I like it. Did you make the cover for the bottom Benny?
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on January 19, 2017, 04:37:25 PM

I bought the material from Hobby Lobby and cut it out. It's the same piece I used for the shot of my Red Bar on my avatar. 

It was really quite easy to do.

Benny
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on January 19, 2017, 04:37:25 PM

OldGuy,

Because I asked, I did a cover for the WE stick I bought yesterday to document how I did it. I don't know how others do it but this works for me. This material is no where correct for this phone, I understand that. This will keep the phone from scratching my desk until I find some felt.

I cut a piece just a bit larger than the base. As I fold it over the edge stretching it just a bit, & tape it so it don't move. I first tape it on the 12, 6, 3, & 9 o'clock positions. Re-position it as needed to keep it centered. Continue to fold and tape until it is held in position and ready to receive the round band that keeps it in position. Install the band NOT saving the point of union till last. Install the union of the band end to end as you tap it in place. You cannot push the ends together after it is in place. Tap in in place with a small hammer as you work your way around the circle.

With the cover in place, I use the pictured piece I purchased at Lowe's. It's a pronged T-nut, I bend the prongs back so they don't do damage to the cover.  I prefer the stainless steel version, which I misplaced and can't locate today. Locate the indented area for the holes and old the "tool" in place with needle nose pliers and tap it in a circular motion to cut the cover all around. Use a razor to finish up what may not have been severed.

Done! Took about 10 minutes. If you have questions, or I didn't explain something properly, please ask.

Benny
Benny

Pourme

More pictures
Benny

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

oldguy

Thanks Benny, your a good teacher & fabricator.
Gary

Pourme

Benny