News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

<edit> Since we merged several topics about AE Navy phones Type A through F together here, lets get a picture of each into this first post on the topic.

Terry

Pictures below in order:

Type - A
Type - D
Type - F
Type - Unknown
Not shown are the AE 40's and 50's with the wire clips to hold the handset in place.
--nto

ntophones

Hello,
Do you guys think this is an AE ringer in this phone? Also, what kind of dial is this? Thanks.
I know the handset doesn't belong.

Here is the link....

http://tinyurl.com/ybjaccp dead link to this topic
--nto

Dennis Markham

Nto, it's difficult to tell without being able to see the clapper.  Maybe the seller could provide another photo from a different angle.

The handset is a Western Electric F1 handset.

LarryInMichigan

nto,

The ringer looks alot like the one in my AE50 http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/LarryinMichigan/AE50/Open.jpg, but the screws which should be holding it to the backplate are missing.  I don't know what kind of dial it has, but it certainly looks like an AE style finger wheel.

Note that, in every picture, there is no sign of the hook switch plunger assembly .  It screws into the metal plate above the switch, through the bakelite cover.  The cover cannot be removed without first removing the plunger assembly.  If the plunger assembly is missing, you will not be able to hang up the phone.  I noticed an AE50 plunger assembly listed an ebay a few weeks ago for $11 or so.  It may still be available.

I also notice that there are open grooves in the cradle arms.  I haven't seen that before.  On mine, there are no such openings.

Larry

ntophones

I saw those grooves, too. I thought that was very strange. Thanks for the info about the ringer assembly.
I emailed the owner about the ringer.
Thanks.
Does anyone else know about the grooves?
--nto

stub

Hi ntophones ,
                        The grooves are for the wire handset holders. This phone was on a ship or train. Here's one with the holders. I have one without the springs also.The springs are riveted in case!!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Oh--what a great fact. When you say riveted, I wonder if they could be replaced?
--nto

stub

ntophones ,
                   Maybe, just don't get it too tight, it will bust!!!! I made some springs for mine, out of clothes hangers,but didn't have any piano wire the same size. They work and don't look to bad. I still need to get nickle or chrome wire and make some more. Those I made I fixed it so I could snap them over the rivets on the inside.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you get it I will try to find my pattern for it and send it to you if you remind me!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Thanks, stub!
I wonder if it was on a ship, since the fingerwheel is brass. In that case, I wonder if the handset had brass trim on it, also. How interesting.
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

If you want to bid on the phone, you might want to ask the seller if the hook switch plunger is missing.  If they answer that it is, that may put a damper on bidding.

Larry

ntophones

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I think it is missing. I looked at replacement parts on Oldphoneworks, and it is expensive to replace that. On the other hand, maybe it will keep the price down on the phone.
I asked him about the ringer. He says it doesn't have any markings on it. I thought AE phones were pretty good about marking what type of frequency ringer they put in there. I wonder if this was sort a parts phone?
Thanks
--nto

LarryInMichigan

ntophones

Yikes, Larry, great find! Thanks! I never saw that one! That helps me out a lot!
--nto
--nto

Dennis Markham

Nto, I don't know if you saw it in my earlier posting but that is not the proper handset for that AE50 either.  That is a Western Electric F1 handset.  Just FYI.

~Dennis

ntophones

Oh, yeah, I knew that. I have an extra handset, but will need the transmitter and receiver parts, but, I'm not worried about that, yet...thanks.
--nto