"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Impressive oak phone booth

Started by Pourme, April 27, 2018, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

In my travels today I came across a Antique store I hadn't noticed before. I went inside hoping to find some interesting phone stuff.
The owner informed me he had a exceptionally nice oak phone booth. This belonged to a recently deceased gentleman that owned a local lumber company with discriminating taste in wooden products, evidently his heirs...not so much.

Other than being solid oak the craftsmanship, fit and finish is second to none. It is finished on all four sides. When I went inside and closed the door I could tell right away the built in quality. That door functioned with the precision & feel of a bank vault door, solid feel with no slack or play in the movement. I don't believe it was a product of any phone company, although I could be wrong. It is a bit smaller than most I have seen. No seat. The man was quick to point out that it wasn't one of those 2 or 3 sided booths. The light inside wasn't what you would expect to see. I didn't even look that closely at the pay station inside, but it goes with it for $1,400.00.

It's located in Valdese, NC. I can't afford it at this time, if anyone would be interested I will help facilitate the transaction.

I would enjoy your comments on this find.

Thanks,
Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

I'm no expert, but I'd say it's custom made. But nice work, and excellent wood working. That's sweeter than candy, that is.
KEN

Pourme

Quote from: Key2871 on April 27, 2018, 07:52:10 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd say it's custom made. But nice work, and excellent wood working. That's sweeter than candy, that is.

That's my impression as well. You should just touch this booth, such a beautiful job. Pictures don't do it justice!
Benny

Key2871

I believe you, I've been a wood worker for years, and I can see quality in that baby. I like the tin for the walls, although the reverse side of that oak would have been sweet. Does it have a light inside? I couldn't tell. But it should, although with the tin so shiny it might be over powering.
Was the guy asking a fair price? Or was it near the moon.
KEN

Pourme

Look close at the 4th pic. The light is one of those Long bulbs like used to light wall art.

He is asking $1,400.00
Benny

Key2871

I thought that was a light. But that price ain't too bad, considering the workmanship. It would have been nice to have a seat, but it could be added in. But my experience with antique dealer's is they always start high, leaving wiggle room. Try to build one that nice now, in oak and see how much it costs.. everything all in phone too. Yea not bad, at all.
KEN

Pourme

He is selling it for a estate. I feel sure there's some wiggle room. You need this booth!
Benny

Key2871

Oh believe me, if I had the $$ and the room. I'd be all over it.
My dad got a 317 with nickel bells, transmitter, in 1965-66.
I remember when he brought it home wow it looked awful, covered with hay, chicken poop, you name it.
He took it out to the garage, I didn't see it for weeks. One day he brought it in, wow, it looked like it came off the bike. Three coats of varnish, bells shining transmitter gleaming, he even got an old lamp cord in gold, and used it as a receiver cord.
My brother wanted it when he died, I told my mom, no way, that baby is mine! I still have it, and it's still beautiful.
KEN