News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Butt Set

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 10, 2018, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Last night, I pulled this butt set out of a drawer full of stuff.  I do not remember when or where I got it, but I decided to take a look at it.  It is quite heavy.  On the center is stamped what looks like "1D".  On the receiver is "PROPERTY OF AMERICAN TELEPHONE & TELEGRAPH CO", and on the transmitter is "PROPERTY OF AMERICAN BELL TELEPHONE CO" and "PAT IN USA AUG 18 03".  I briefly connected the set to my phone line, and it worked pretty well.  There are no buttons on this set.

I am attaching some pictures.  Can someone here tell me what the proper designation of this set is and when it might have been made?  I do not see anything exactly like it on Paul F's excellent website.  Is it worth anything?

Thank You

Larry

paul-f

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 10, 2018, 10:24:12 AM
I do not see anything exactly like it on Paul F's excellent website.

It's covered here, but the description could use some more detail covering the markings, which are usually 1A, 1D, 1H, etc. Adding more details and photos is on the TO DO list.

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#1001

The general form was in production for many, many years and there were numerous variations with different switch and cord configurations. Someone wanting to collect them all would be in for a long ride. I haven't run into anyone who has started down that path. Anyone trying it?

So many were produced during its run that there are more than enough to satisfy collector demand. Prices usually seem nominal. Many have seen serious use and show the scars of a tough life.

I've picked up a few with D- numbers and physical differences (probably for the military) that will be documented some day.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Ktownphoneco

Larry   ....   I can't add much more than Paul has already mentioned, but attached is a page out of Western's 1908 Telephone Catalog which shows the test handset at the bottom of the page.  Click twice to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

LarryInMichigan

Paul,

Thank you for the info.  I didn't expect that this was worth much, but it is a curiosity.  Unfortunately, the japanned finish is in very rough condition, so it is far from beautiful.  It will probably go back into the junk storehouse, unless someone is interested in it.

If any of my pictures are useful, you are welcome to use them.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Jeff,

Thank you for the catalog page.  I see that they gave discounts to liberals way back then :)

BTW, when did the AT&T change their name from "American Bell Telephone Co" to "American Telephone and Telegraph Co" (or vice versa)?

Larry

Jim Stettler

I think American Bell became AT&T in 1898.

I remember that  American Bell was around for 20 years before they reorganized  and made the "long Lines" division the parent company.
Before American Bell they were National Bell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a  lot of info on the early organization of the Bell System. It is all stored away.
One of the artifacts is  a hardbound book of all 20 Years of stock holder reports for "American Bell". It also includes the first Long lines map for the shareholders.

A Bell System Librarian  produced a book with a lot of significant dates in it as well.

The solution for patent infringements was solved by trading cash and stock for controlling interest in the infringing companies (stock). the companies then received orders for phones from Bell. they could use the orders as leverage to get loans.
Bell also bought "Barton and Gray" which became the manfactoring arm of the Bell System (Western Electric)
The infringing companies became the regional  offices of Western Electric.
Jmo,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

I know that the "Graybar" brand name came from Gray and Barton and that AT&T used it to sell electrical appliances, made by other manufacturers, in the 1920s.  I have a Graybar fan made by General Electric.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Graybar spun off
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 10, 2018, 07:28:45 PM
I know that the "Graybar" brand name came from Gray and Barton and that AT&T used it to sell electrical appliances, made by other manufacturers, in the 1920s.  I have a Graybar fan made by General Electric.

Larry
Graybar spun off from Western Electric  as a  employee owned entity. They sold WE marked telephones and various appliances.  I think around 1926-1927. I used to have the Yearbook.
Jim S.
They are still around and employee owned.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.