News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern N393BA with Gray Tel Pay Station Coin Collector.

Started by ....., July 19, 2018, 11:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This Northern N393BA phone and Gray Tel coin collector where part of a collection I bought yesterday.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Sweet!
That phone looks like it has been rewired?
Very clean.

Ktownphoneco

Some of those sets are an upgraded version of the earlier side tone N293 sets, and some are actual or original N393 anti side tone sets.    In the upgrade, the type 46 induction coil is removed and replaced with a 101-A coil.      The condenser is removed and replaced with a 2 in 1 container condenser for the ringer and talk circuit.      The switch hook is changed to a 4 spring type, and the standard dial of an N293 which is usually an N14, is removed and a Northern type 4 dial installed.     The carbon button transmitter is usually removed and replaced with the "Bulldog" type with the F-1 transmitter cartridge, and quite often the 140 series receiver is removed and replaced with the type 706A.    But Doug's set has a 140 series receiver on it, so that could indicate that his set is an upgraded N293.      Both versions of this set were made of walnut, and usually the N293 was finished in a combination stain and varnish.    However when the set was upgraded, the N293 was usually painted black, as were original N393's. 

Jeff Lamb

rdelius

A collector might have done this Grey coin collectors on dial sets would not allow supervision of the coins.Might work on a ring down circuit tha aleart the operator.The Bell instructions are most likely repro

Quote from: rdelius on July 20, 2018, 03:02:16 PM
A collector might have done this Grey coin collectors on dial sets would not allow supervision of the coins.Might work on a ring down circuit tha aleart the operator.The Bell instructions are most likely repro

Here I will give you a close up picture of it.

kleenax

Quote from: Duffy on July 20, 2018, 03:37:19 PM
Here I will give you a close up picture of it.
FYI:
the brass instruction card is a reproduction...
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Quote from: kleenax on July 20, 2018, 03:53:09 PM
FYI:
the brass instruction card is a reproduction...

No problem, that is why I posted a close up. I like to know what I own. :)

Jim Stettler

I have seen those repro tags offered as high as $40-$50 at a show, and that was over 10 years ago.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Doug...I was fooled as well a long time ago. Just for the instruction card. I didn't get the collector. We all have to eat a pound of sh*t!

Sometimes the bear bites you. Still a great coin collector. I am still looking....be happy...looks great...other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 20, 2018, 08:55:46 PM
Doug...I was fooled as well a long time ago. Just for the instruction card. I didn't get the collector. We all have to eat a pound of sh*t!

Sometimes the bear bites you. Still a great coin collector. I am still looking....be happy...looks great...other Doug

Thanks Doug,

I'm not concerned at all, for the amount I paid for this last haul put the cost of this coin collector very low. It was a bonus, as I wasn't looking for one. It just happened to be there. Since I had posted it else where, I have been contacted by 5 other collectors. Everyone of them interested in purchasing it. That tell's me something, but it's not for sale. It looks good in my collection even with the repro instruction card. I understand other members are concerned and want to help others beware of repros. I post here to get other members input whether good or bad.

Jim Stettler

I think a repro plate is a lot better than no plate. That is why the repro plates sell high.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.