and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Red Continental is here!!

Started by finlover, January 29, 2010, 10:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: finlover on January 31, 2010, 01:41:41 AM
Quote from: Jester on January 30, 2010, 11:52:16 PM
I suspect your new cords WILL be the lighter color.  But, before you resort to vinyl, consider finding a way to darken the new cords to the proper shade.  Just my 2 cents.
Well, if they clash too badly the Rit dye color scarlet is awfully close to Cherry Red.  I've used it before to restore the color to faded red vinyl cords.

What are the new cloth cords made out of, is it a synthetic thread. Make sure the dye will penetrate the fibers before you try to dye them.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Steve

You might want to try a auto interior fabric dye if you have an auto paint jobber near you. I have used it on a few car panels in the past, and it wears like iron. plenty of shades to choose from too.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

finlover

Thanks for the tip, Steve!  Dan/Panther has a point--Rit dye might not take.

Jester

That is a good point about Rit, but I would have never thought to try it on vinyl & you say you were pleased with the results.  I have used it on an original WE subset cord before & was also satisfied.  It's definately a tool to consider.
Stephen

bingster

Quote from: finlover on January 31, 2010, 06:58:34 PM
Cool!  Where do you think I could find some?

Ebay, mon frer!  Just do a search for "switchboard cord" and you'll find them in red, grey and green.  They seem to have a silky "glisten" to them that's nice, and they come in varying lengths, some of them so long that they could make three or four handset cords.  

One note of caution though, some switchboard cords only contain two conductors, so be sure to ask any seller for a conductor count.  You need three for a handset and four for a mounting cord (although three will do the job reasonably well, too).
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Showed my missus your red Continental pics last night Finlover, she said it's a "sexy" phone, so you are batting 1000. 

Gotta get me one of those time machines. ;)

finlover

Quote from: McHeath on February 01, 2010, 09:58:54 AM
Showed my missus your red Continental pics last night Finlover, she said it's a "sexy" phone, so you are batting 1000.  

Gotta get me one of those time machines. ;)
It's been a long time since I was good lookin', but it's nice to know I still got it!