News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Plastic caps for F-1 type handsets ?

Started by Dan/Panther, February 23, 2010, 10:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have a F3 handset that has what appears to b e black plastic caps. Did they make them.
The threads had some residue in tyhem, and I used a tool I have to chase the threads to clean them. Normally Bakelite leaves a powder as you run the tool over the threads. These caps when the threads are chased, produced a long string like shaving, and  looks like what you would get from a lathe.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

They did make black plastic caps for the F series handsets.  The oldest I've seen were dated 1959.  They seem to have come out around the same time as the plastic capped G-1's.  And, just like all soft plastic caps I've seen screwed to bakelite, these always feel like they've been glued to the handset when you try to unscrew them.  I'm sure it's because of shrinkage.  The shavings you got from chasing the threads would make sense--maybe they will go on/come off more freely now.
Stephen

Phonesrfun

I just read a scanned download from one of the other forums that was put out by AE describing the handsets used in the AE80 and other AE phones of the time.  They discussed the different series of handles and caps.  Like Westernt Electric, Automatic Electric first started out with a bakelite handle and caps, then later changed over to the plastic handsets.

In the GTE practice, it talked about the different caps.  Part of that discussion was a note that even though the threads inside the plastic caps were identical to the earlier bakelite, it said that using dissimilar materials (I.E. plastics and bakelite) with each other should be avoided.  Para 4.01(a)

Here is a copy of the GTE Practice.  Note that it is 3meg, so if you are on a dial up, it will take time.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thanks for that Bill.  I recently acquired some older Stromberg Carlson 1553W sets.  Wall phones with the skinny handsets and curved bottom.

One of them is dark Gray and actually has a Bakelite handset.  It's very heavy but has a great finish.  The other is a Rose Beige color and actually has a porcelain dial plate.  Because over time the housing has darkened and the porcelain has not there is  a color difference.  I wonder if S.C. subscribed to the same theories as A.E.  I have yet to read your documents and will do so.