News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Issues Removing the Screw on AE type 24 Dials

Started by Doug Rose, October 13, 2019, 10:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Most of the AE dials I have left I cannot remove the screw that holds on the fingerwheel. I tried letting them sit with Liquid Wrench or oil for days and I cannot budge the screw.

I tried tapping a screwdriver inserted in the screw slot with a hammer. Broke a few dials but did not move the screw.

I try and try until the screw starts to show damage to the slot.

Anyone have a solution to this problem. I have a half dozen dials waiting to be used...thanks.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I took a kitchen knife, cut it shorter to make a wide bladed screwdriver. Then drilled a hole through the handle so a rod could be inserted to make a "t" handle.A pair of vice grips will sometimes grip the screw enough to remove it

HowardPgh

Heat it with a soldering iron that may break the bond of gunk in the threads. I sometimes grab around the edge of the screw head with  pliers and turn to loosen. Just be gentle but firm.
Howard

Doug Rose

Thanks Howard, I have pair of bull nose dykes, but I cannot get a good grip on the screw and it slips off, usually cause catching me.  :-[. I'll try the soldering iron...Doug
Kidphone

dsk

At this moment it does not feel like the right advice, but in other places it has sometimes been good to tighten a little first, and then unscrew. Here I would go for that soldering iron thing first.

dsk

Jack Ryan

I must just be lucky.

I have not found those screws to be stuck - the problem is that the slot is too narrow for a normal screwdriver.

After making a (wide but "sharper") screwdriver to fit, the screw comes undone.

Jack

HarrySmith

Quote from: rdelius on October 13, 2019, 10:43:25 AM
I took a kitchen knife, cut it shorter to make a wide bladed screwdriver. Then drilled a hole through the handle so a rod could be inserted to make a "t" handle.A pair of vice grips will sometimes grip the screw enough to remove it
Can you let a picture? I am having a tough time trying to visualize what you are describing.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 14, 2019, 08:45:09 PM
Can you let a picture? I am having a tough time trying to visualize what you are describing.

Imagine a 25mm (or narrower) paint scraper. Cut the blade short so it doesn't flex. What you see now is an AE dial screw remover.

Jack

rdelius

Jacks version might work better than mine because of a bigger handle. No photo, I do not know where it is .Have not done much telephone work since COT moved to Canada.

FABphones

Similar to this style (above versions will have a wider shank and head).
Handle has larger area to grip so more torque and less likely to slip.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

Hi All.     A.E. finger wheel screw removal :   Probably 10 years ago, or more, and after fighting with an A.E. finger wheel screw in order to service someone's dial, it occurred to me to try some specialized screw drivers that I used when working on my firearms.    The screw driver set is made by the Chapman Manufacturing Company of Durham, CT.    As you can see by the attached pictures (click to enlarge), the set has quite a collection of screw driver bits.   In the set, there are "TWO" flat blade bits that are perfect for removing the finger wheel screw on an A.E. dial.   
One of the bits is a nice snug fit, so much so, one would think it was machined specifically for the machine screw on the A.E. dial.   Since I started using this screw driver set, I've only been "skunked" once, and only because someone in the past, had tried to remove the finger wheel with everything short of a jack hammer, and most likely with all the wrong screw drivers, and made an absolute mess of the screw head.
The bits can be used with just the handle, or, with the handle and the extension as pictured.    I've also found that these precision machined screw driver bits are useful for other applications as well.
Here's a link to the company's web page showing this screw driver set.    They come in a plastic box now, rather than the one I have.    The set number is : No. 9600.
Link:   https://chapmanmfg.com/products/9600-starter-slotted-bit-set

Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

I had one of those sets! There was no writing left on the case so I did not know what it was meant for but it came in handy a few times when working on cars. I think it was in my toolbox when I sold it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"