News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

And they just keep coming.......

Started by ....., October 21, 2019, 07:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bought these 2 coloured Western/Northern hybrid 302's and the pink NE 500 yesterday.
The Ivory 302 is a 1950, the Rose Pink 302 is a 1954 and the Pink 500 is a 1960.

All of them need a good cleaning.
The Ivory has a few hairline cracks, but for 69 years old it's not bad. Needs a handset cord.
The Rose Pink is in excellent condition other than needing a new handset cord.
The Pink 500 needs a dial as it is seized.

Now to find a Blue and a Red 302 to complete the set.

tubaman

I was just trying to find the 'Very jealous' emoticon but we don't seem to have one!
Dare I ask the prices?
:)

Quote from: tubaman on October 21, 2019, 08:48:05 AM
I was just trying to find the 'Very jealous' emoticon but we don't seem to have one!
Dare I ask the prices?
:)

I can say this, the pink 500 was only $10.00 CDN. The 302's were a bit more, but well below the average going price.

Dan/Panther

Duffy;

You don't need a new dial. The old one just needs a good cleaning.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mazda_matt

I have some really nice cloth curly cords to match both those phones :)
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

Quote from: mazda_matt on October 21, 2019, 03:50:36 PM
I have some really nice cloth curly cords to match both those phones :)

Stop reading my mind Matt! LOL I'll be needing them soon, I'm almost finished. Just have to reassemble them.
Looks like another trip to my go to phone shop.  :)

HarrySmith

What would have been the original cords for these? Did they have curly cords or color matched cords when these were produced?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 21, 2019, 04:44:33 PM
What would have been the original cords for these? Did they have curly cords or color matched cords when these were produced?

Harry they would have been straight matching coloured cloth cords.

HarrySmith

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I have matching curly handset cords on my Ivory, Red and Blue 302s ...Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

the red 302 is really nice. I had an Ivory one once, it was so discolored and ruined, I wound up having to junk the case and handset. as like yours, the hairline cracks really ruined the appearance of the phone, not to mention the warping of the chassis. after that I just stayed with the black ones.... easier to refurbish and the parts were in better condition. the colored 302's seem to always have cracking and real bad fading. the handsets warp and the receiver caps crack and break. I have yet to find a good colored 302 that hasn't been painted.... I've got 2 black 302's that were repainted, one in green and the other in grey-green. when I find them, I just clean them up and put them back in to a usable state. now, just collecting dust... they both work...
John

Here are the 3 colour's cleaned up with my other 302's. I also have a 444 EC and a 465 KC-3 in the collection.
Ray Kotke has a set of Ivory caps for me, so that will fix the cracked cap issue.

Babybearjs

your 444 and 464 are really nice, just like mine.... except I opted to add some brass and chrome to some of my sets. I'm surprised to see the 400 series has rebounded in price and are now worth some money. all mine are in usable order and I have 2 445's in use in my home. really nice phones!
John

Quote from: Babybearjs on October 23, 2019, 05:29:22 AM
your 444 and 464 are really nice, just like mine.... except I opted to add some brass and chrome to some of my sets. I'm surprised to see the 400 series has rebounded in price and are now worth some money. all mine are in usable order and I have 2 445's in use in my home. really nice phones!

Thanks John

Post a picture of yours, it would be nice to see them or if you already have them posted here in the forums. Post that link.

Mine are still as I received them, other than a little cleaning. They are on my to do list or should I say "my extra long of I have to do that list". LOL
I'm sure that there are a few of us here that has that same extra long list.  :)

Babybearjs

here we go.... I bought almost all my 400 series phones for less than $25.00... restored and ready to use, these phones can really fetch a good price! these work great on my key system! the blue 464 originally was robin egg blue, I repainted it to bring it forward to the colors that are more common now. I call the phone "The Leathermans Phone" (black and Blue) its truly on of a kind...
John