News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Maker Needed?

Started by Doug Rose, December 29, 2019, 01:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is one of the first sticks I ever bought at Brimfield years ago. Looks like an SC, Has an odd Brass mouthpiece and the receiver is marked  bb h.  Any ideas?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Brass mouthpieces like that were made by a telephone collector  around  40? years ago. The mouthpiece  would probably bring $30-50 at a show.
I recently saw one on ebay that was plated, probably with a kit. It looked nice.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

That is an origional SC rec molded by

Boonton? Button works . That MP might have been used on a SC intercom

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on December 29, 2019, 03:49:23 PM
That is an origional SC rec molded by

Boonton? Button works . That MP might have been used on a SC intercom
>>>>EDIT>>>> I got confused reading the post after mine, I am talking mouthpiece and robby is talking receiver, Disregard this post.

That is good to know, I have seen 3 of them over the years, The story at phone shows were they were made by a collector long ago.
Were these offered concurrent with the phones or later like into  the 1960's-70's ?

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

These are old,possibly 20s or 30s.They also might have been military repair stock.I used to have access to Modern Plastics Mag at Duke University library. Many telephone mfg cos had outside suppliers to mold parts

Doug Rose

Thanks Robby....This almost was the odd stick out as I am out of room and just added a SC stick. Your knowledge is amazing...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Just to clarify:

Quote from: rdelius on December 29, 2019, 03:49:23 PM
That is an origional SC rec molded by Boonton? Button works. That MP might have been used on a SC intercom

Quote from: Jim Stettler on December 29, 2019, 04:05:48 PM
That is good to know, I have seen 3 of them over the years, The story at phone shows were they were made by a collector long ago. Were these offered concurrent with the phones or later like into  the 1960's-70's ?
Jim

Is Jim asking about the receiver, the mouthpiece or both? 

Quote from: rdelius on December 29, 2019, 05:50:28 PM
These are old,possibly 20s or 30s.They also might have been military repair stock.I used to have access to Modern Plastics Mag at Duke University library. Many telephone mfg cos had outside suppliers to mold parts

This response seems to apply the the receiver (shell).

I agree that many manufacturers had "plastic" and other parts made by third parties but I'm not sure about these mouthpieces. I have to admit that I don't have  a lot of SC documentation but I have only seen them describe their mouthpieces as either "a strong resilient material" or (later), Bakelite.

Thanks

Jack

Doug Rose

Jack...I took all responses to be on the mouthpiece. No one has responded on the marked b b h receiver....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 29, 2019, 07:08:25 PM
Jack...I took all responses to be on the mouthpiece. No one has responded on the marked b b h receiver....thanks...Doug

An original SC receiver moulded by Boonton? ... applies to the receiver.

The comments about (possibly) being reproduced applied to the mouthpiece.

But that is why I asked for clarification - it is not clear.

Regards
Jack

Doug Rose

Jack...I think you are correct the the Receiver was what Robby was talking about by Boonton.

Jim might be correct on the mouthpiece being made 40 years ago. It does fit perfectly and screws in and out easily. Thanks for the clarification, as I missed it....Doug
Kidphone