News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial demonstrators

Started by Jim Stettler, January 11, 2020, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

When Bell companies were switching to dial, Bell would come out and do dial training lectures.
Here is a you tube link that shows a dial demonstrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4v-crPSrj0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dial demonstrators have the same or similar dial set-up as an WE 520 explosion proof telephone.
This topic shows some photos and links of the dial transfer.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23286.msg233617#msg233617
My demonstrator is missing some of dial transfer pieces.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine is  smaller than the one in the video. The front dial is probably about 18". It has  some switching components. You can plug in an extension and dial it. Mine also has an amplifier built in for large halls. On mine the  211 set does not have a separate dial.
Some of the demonstrators were simple working set-ups without the additional features.
ISTR that it is marked Lecture aid . I think the  serial # is 17.
It is very heavy and currently sitting high on a shelf in deep storage. I will try to get it out before Summer and take some photos for this topic.

If anyone else has a dial  demonstrator, I would like to see some photos of the dial transfer set-up.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Scott

Thank you for posting the YouTube link. I would watch it again just for the cutaways of the audience.

Scott K.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on January 11, 2020, 10:52:51 AM
Mine is  smaller than the one in the video. The front dial is probably about 18". <snip>

If anyone else has a dial  demonstrator, I would like to see some photos of the dial transfer set-up.

Jim - I have a training dial that is smaller than yours -- about 9" in diameter. There is a 6E dial that returns the enlarged fingerwheel. It has a label on the back -- Merced County Schools.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

andre_janew

Sounds like they had different size dials for different size gatherings.  I would like to know how many different sizes of these dial demonstrators they had.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on January 11, 2020, 06:49:05 PM
Jim - I have a training dial that is smaller than yours -- about 9" in diameter. There is a 6E dial that returns the enlarged fingerwheel. It has a label on the back -- Merced County Schools.
That is a cool dial Paul. It makes me think of a dial from a 500 set.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on January 12, 2020, 03:41:38 PM
That is a cool dial Paul. It makes me think of a dial from a 500 set.

It should, Jim. The 6E dial is dated 1955.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line