"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Canada Type B Ship Telephone

Started by rbouch, January 18, 2020, 02:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

Hi Folks,

Ran into this phone while out and about for a pretty good price.

An Automatic Electric Canada Type B Ship Telephone.  Had seen the American version of these on ebay, etc., but had not seen a Canadian one.

Plaque on the side is labelled "Shipboard Dial Telephone Equipment, Telephone Type B, Part No. GL 646-AO, Contract No FE175583 SP (blank), Royal Canadian Navy, supplied by Automatic Electric (Canada) Ltd."

Interestingly, the dial is made in the USA, while most of the Canadian AE phones I have are marked as manufactured in Canada by Phillips.

I must admit I didn't expect the inside of this phone to be this pristine, given the "patina" of the outside.  All I had to do when I opened it up to get it working was to simply hook up a line cord.

Dials out, receives calls, nice clear audio and rings nice and loud.

Weighs 17.2 lbs.

Any further info or comments would be welcome.  I am torn between keeping this in its original condition pr "restoring" it past glories.

Thanks
Ralph

countryman

It's perfect inside and has a perfect patina on the outside. Preserve it as it is, maybe polish it a little.
The way the brass shows through the paint makes clear that this phone has seen a lot of appropriate use but no malpractice. Also the brass accords with the gongs.

rbouch

Meant to say restoring it TO past glories.  Never will get used to touchpad.

Thanks for the feedback Countryman, you kind of ratified what I was inclined to do anyway.

Pourme

~

I agree, I would give it a good cleaning. I usually polish the gongs, I wouldn't do that on this one. A coat of a good wax, done!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

Yup, again agreed, preserve it. Very cool old piece.
KEN