News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric WWII Handset??

Started by Doug Rose, May 12, 2020, 03:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was going through a box of handset parts in the Dungeon and I came up with this. Didn't even know I had it! :o

I have never seen anything like it, I was painted black over tape etc. I connected it to dial tone and got nothing, press the button worked reception and transmission. Clear ...no static

Push to talk has D173009 on it. Elements are marked WE 7 43 and 8 43 so I am guessing WWII.

I am trying to remove the paint as it looks horrible like this. I hope underneath looks better.  Can't look much worse 8)

Any information is greatly appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

It is sound powered. Blow into the transmitter and while listening, short the wires together and you should hear a difference . MIght be Navy.

Doug Rose

I guess this is not a desirable butt set as this one didn't sell for $7.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electri-Telephone-Handset-Model-D173009-Type-L/324134701039 ( dead link 06-05-21 )

BUT...I am very happy the way mine turned out. It is a keeper. This is a very heavy set. The Bakelite does shine!

It had layers of paint on it and tape where the button was held in place. Same as the auction I listed here. There was a layer of copper color coating. At first I thought it was metal and was copper coated, but it came off in the second application of Citristripper....Doug
Kidphone