News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just Found a Strange 302 Handset

Started by randyleemunro, May 19, 2020, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randyleemunro

Hi all I just purchased a box of cruddy 302s and with it was this strange 302 Handset  (see pictures)

It looks likes a 1936-37 grooveless handset.....But it is Hollow and made of soft plastic like late 302s

the only markings on it is the number 17 stamped in the receiver cavity...I always thought grooveless

handsets were pre 1937

Key2871

That is strange. Proto type? I bet Paul F would know.
KEN

randyleemunro

How do I get in touch with Mr. fassbender

I would like 2 Know

Key2871

Well you could look for his name in members list, or wait a bit he'll be by.
Page 32 on the members list about a third the way down
KEN

HarrySmith

I always use Paul's site for reference. Here is his page on the F handsets:
http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Fhandsets
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

randyleemunro

Not a mention about a tenite grooveless F1 on Paul's Site

the remnants of the 302 it was attached to was January 1947 and so was the cloth cords marked first quarter of 47

So, maybe the 1 7 marked in the receiver cavity is for first quarter of 1947   

paul-f

Welcome to the Forum!

Note the dot on your handset's handle, following F1.

Check out the text below the table on the page Harry referenced. It reads:

Late production F-style handsets were made of plastic, rather than the heavier bakelite.  C32.203, issue 8, August 1955 includes the following:

2.02 Lightweight F1-type handsets may be distinguished from the regular handsets by their lighter weight plastic, hollow handle, and an embossed dot following the code number on the handle. Transmitter and receiver caps for light-weight handsets are not interchangeable with regular caps because the threads are different. Caps for the heavier handsets have a number molded in the center of the underside of the grid; lightweight caps do not have such a number.

2.03 A lightweight handset should not be used to replace a regular handset. Its lighter weight may not operate reliably a switchhook designed for a regular handset.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

It's a tenite handset? That's strange I've seen only bakelite. But then again I never got a chance to see a lot of different sets before.
I was more into 50's and up 500's and such.
KEN

randyleemunro

I have restored 100s of 302s and never found a tenite grooveless F1

But I still have a IV 36 early network and matching square Condenser I took out of a prototype 302 40 years ago

I wish I knew then that it was a Prototype

Jim Stettler

I have seen tenite 302 bodies. I haven't noticed a tenite f handset.
Also tenite 500's and princess phones.
Jim

Edit to add>>>Tenite was mainly used in early 500's.  Tenite 302's and princess phones are the oddities <<<Edit
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

randyleemunro

We used to find the light weight handsets BUT Grooved and usually in 2 pieces.(broken)...This is the first non grooved I ever seen or had

Jack Ryan

Quote from: paul-f on May 19, 2020, 06:14:41 PM
Late production F-style handsets were made of plastic, rather than the heavier bakelite.  C32.203, issue 8, August 1955 includes the following:

Early (coloured) F handsets were also plastic. I don't know why a plastic handset would need a groove - must have been a carryover from Bakelite moulding. I don't see many US coloured telephones but the early plastic F handsets seem to have a "seam" (not a groove) which is a mould seam not an actual handset seam. Later ones were pretty smooth.

Quote from: Jim Stettler on May 19, 2020, 06:38:58 PM
Edit to add>>>Tenite was mainly used in early 500's.  Tenite 302's and princess phones are the oddities <<<Edit

I don't understand - most 302s are Tenite

Jack

Doug Rose

This is a Bell System wall set made in 2 60. Very late in the game for a F1

It is not Bakelite, like a soft plastic. It is light, Bakelite caps will not fit on this and these caps will not fit on a Bakelite handle.

The seamless F1s I have seen were from IV 36 to early 37.

Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

A number of years ago, I bought an odd lot of parts which included some black tenite caps for F1 handsets.  I don't recall ever having a black tenite handset though.  The tenite caps have grooves.  They do not fit onto bakelite handsets.

Larry

randyleemunro

here are both of my non grooved F1 handsets the top one is bakelite and dated 9-20-37....and the bottom one is the new 2 me tenite handset that I have been polishing... myself I cannot tell any difference