News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Rose 302

Started by GeorgeHC, June 15, 2020, 03:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeHC

I just received this Rose 302 in the mail.  The phone cost me $45 CAD plus another $16 CAD for postage.  The total with postage works out to about $45 USD.

It is in really nice condition, with just a hint of discolouration on the handset.

Dates inside the handset indicate 4-53.  The cover doesn't seem to want to come off the base, and I don't want to force it.  It doesn't look like it has shrunk, but maybe it has - just enough to make it snug.

Does anyone know if these coloured 302 sets were made by Northern Electric and distributed in Canada?  This one has a "Bell System" handset on it, so it looks like it started out life in the US.

George

Doug Rose

Beautiful! Very nice indeed. If you want to open it, place a screwdriver in the rear mouse hole and gently lift. Open it only if you have to, shells usually are fine coming off, it's getting them back on..... :P .....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

That is a nice price. You should enter it in the June 2020 find of the month.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23961.msg238839#msg238839
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: GeorgeHC on June 15, 2020, 03:26:59 PM

Does anyone know if these coloured 302 sets were made by Northern Electric and distributed in Canada?  This one has a "Bell System" handset on it, so it looks like it started out life in the US.

George

Yes they were. Here are my Canadian versions.

SUnset2

That's a find-of-the-month contestant for sure. 

It is very common for color 302s to be slightly shrunken.  If it is tight against the base, and continues to shrink, it is at risk of cracking at the corners to relieve the stress.  What I have done when the case is tight is to cut 2 slots in each corner with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and then bend the flange inward around the entire perimeter so that the case fits on easily.

GeorgeHC

Thanks guys, I think I will avoid trying to remove the cover at this point as Doug suggested. 

I already have an ivory 302 that the cover won't fit back on.  I may modify the baseplate as suggested  by SUnset2.

Duffy those are great looking phones! I need a green 302 now...

Doug Rose

George....if you decide you want to Modify the base, here is a "how to" from Forum posts from 2012.....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6211.msg73402#msg73402
Kidphone

Pourme

~

Sounds like you got that phone in time to save the case from damage. Another survivor for future generations. Good catch...and a bargain!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Great phone at an amazing price, congratulations.
Gary

Key2871

George, that's awesome, congrats.
KEN