News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Zealand Type 101 Phone

Started by compubit, October 11, 2020, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Trying to find something unique to give to myself in October for my birthday, I ran across this auction for a "Dark Green" phone from New Zealand, with the reverse order dial.

After receiving it and a little bit of sleuthing, here's what I have put together.

- based on the British GPO 746 phone
- Manufactured by GEC New Zealand Ltd (a subsidiary of the British General Electric Company - not related to the US's General Electric)
- the color appears to be a dark blue, most likely the GPO "Concorde Blue", that has yellowed (similar to how many of the Teal Blue Western Electric phones have a greenish tint) - except for the handset caps, the cords and right under where the handset it's when on hook...

I purchased it (along with a red Australian 802) for the reverse order dial, and the color was different.

Now that I have it, I would like to restore it to as close to the original blue As possible. (Willing to take any suggestions, so that I don't ruin the color...). 

Regardless, I'm happy with my eBay score.
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

FABphones

These two threads on Chemical Sanding are a good guide:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20168

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23386

Good photos of an near accurate shade of Concorde Blue 746 aren't that easy to find, this one from wiki was the best I could do for you as a guide to the original colour. Maybe a member here will have one in their collection.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

compubit

Thanks! The color in your photo is pretty close to the handset caps.

I will find an old phone to practice on.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

tubaman

Concorde Blue is a lovely colour but, with the exception of the early Diakon 706 models, it was very  prone to turning green like this. The original colour you are after will be inside your handset caps.
If you can get it back to original it'll look gorgeous.
:)