News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric II 43 WW2 Dial

Started by Doug Rose, October 30, 2020, 11:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

You didn't see a lot of WE stuff made during WW2, but this 5H and dial plate were made during WW2.

It was in my pile of used dials when I looked it over today. Came of a Painted 302 that was pink but had faded to a cream-white., but the Pink Cords remained pink.

This had very little black paint on it and looked shiny underneath. I guess its like if you get lucky polishing a Metal 302. This is really a nickel like finish. Finger stop matches although looks brown.

Very happy with this find, I didn't know I had  ???  ...Doug

Kidphone

Jack Ryan

1943 was a big year for the 302. Lots of them were exported to NZ, Russia and other places.

They have matching 1943 dates. There seems to have been a lot of NE CB versions as well.

There were probably military versions made then too.

Jack

poplar1

Substitute materials were used for the 1943-1944 302 sets. The most obvious are the cloth covered conductors in the handset cords and mounting cords, and the painted steel gongs. But also the dial cases were made from a different metal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Thanks David.....I do appreciate the info....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

It us a sharp looking dial, not sure what I will do with it, but it has to be on a stick or a B1 Maybe a stripped C1 space saver.....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

It looks Aluminum, but obviously if a magnet sticks to it, its not. So other than steel what would have been, certainly not brass.
Is it painted Silver? To resemble Aluminium?
KEN

Doug Rose

it is not painted, it was painted Black but that just fell off as I removed it....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I added the II 43 dial to a manual B1 that I had and was very happy with the results.

I used one of the Dial cards I posted on the Forum to download a few weeks ago, looks almost a nice as the original....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24547.msg243539#msg243539
Kidphone

countryman

Might it be some kind of Nickel alloy? My first thought was "German silver" (Nickel-copper-zinc, also known under other names) but it is not magnetic. Nickel itself is magnetic.
The fingerwheel also does not look Nickel plated, probably a typical plating would wear off soon.

MMikeJBenN27

Must be nickle, as nickle is magnetic, aluminum, pot metal, and zinc, are not.

Doug Rose

Kidphone