News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Holtzer Cabot Ringer

Started by Doug Rose, December 09, 2020, 08:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this under my workbench yesterday. I put it there for a reason that now escapes me  ???

Made in the Holtzer Cabot Factory in Jamaica Plain, a Boston Suburb. It is in really nice condition. It is heavy, weighs almost NINE pounds. 12' tall and the gong is 6.5 across.

I must have been trying to get it to work, but I think it might wake the dead  8) ...Doug
Kidphone

RB

Very nice bell.
You prob stashed it there, for fear you may get it to work,
and then have to listen to all the ata boys you would be getting from all of your BELL fans! lol.
It must be a hair raiser ;)

tubaman

Nice bell, but it isn't a phone ringer. Note the plate says 24V AC. It'll pull way too much current to work from a phone line.
:)

Babybearjs

use a 18-24 VAC power supply in it to test it... nic e ringer, most likely a signalling ringer for something other then telephone use... (school bell, etc)
John

Scott

In my very younger days my Dad had an old bell from the local fire department that looked like it had not worked for many years. I took the transformer from my train set and started touching things on the bell. It rang. Then I went to change my shorts. LOUD. I never did it again.

Scott K.

Jim Stettler

Holtzer Cabot also made  bells for the burglar, fire and  signaling companies.
Signaling bells were used for doorbells, dock buzzers and things like that.
An AC bell wouldn't have battery back-up, my guess is it was used as signaling.
Just my guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Thanks folks....I guess that's why it was under my workbench....Doug
Kidphone

I have a similar bell close in size made by Faraday 9" X 4.5". It has a Bell System issued part number K. S. 6094 on it and is 24 volts DC.

tubaman

Quote from: Duffy on December 09, 2020, 09:02:07 PM
I have a similar bell close in size made by Faraday 9" X 4.5". It has a Bell System issued part number K. S. 6094 on it and is 24 volts DC.

You can tell it's a DC one as it has the contact that breaks when the clapper is pulled towards the coils.
:)