"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Model 332C - April of 1954

Started by Dennis Markham, April 18, 2010, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Great find, $28.00 is still a good price for a plain 302. Let alone what you got as a bonus.
Doesn't it feel great to step in it and still smell like a Rose ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

D/P:  Are you suggesting Dennis smells like Doug?  (Or a different Rose.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on April 19, 2010, 12:51:49 AM
Maybe Richard?
I don't think he has found us yet. I should send him an invite.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Jorge and I have been talking about this phone and how I will ultimately connect it to a power source to utilize the amplifier.  It is Jorge's belief that the polarity of the amplifier is important to avoid damage.  The schematic simply indicates where to connect the blue and black wires with regard to the power source.

Looking closely at the amplifier and the terminal where the blue wire is connected, there is no evidence of any markings indicating polarity.

My question is............Is polarity important in order to avoid damage to the amplifier.

Attached is a portion of the schematic.  An arrow points to where it reads that the black and blue leads are to be connected to the 4.5 volt battery.  I was hoping to locate a 4.5 volt wall wart for this.

Second photo is of the front of the amplifier.

Third photo is of the back of the amplifier.

Last photo is of the terminal where the blue wire connects.

Is it safe to assume that the black wire is "negative" like with many electrical connections??

Also, does anyone know what 111B indicates on the back side of the amplifier?

I also added the schematic below the photos.

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on April 19, 2010, 12:51:49 AM
Hey...I resemble that!

Paul....glad to see you aboard.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Dennis....where are the pictures of your refurbished WE 332C? We have been patiently waiting....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, that phone is sitting on the sideline.  I have been busy with a project I started previously started.  It's on the top of my list of things-to-do. 

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Is it possible that the Black and Blue leads are just connected to a coil, then polarity would not matter.
Boy Paul, gotta be careful how I handle that one....
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

According to the schematic:

"The black and blue leads of the mounting cord shall be connected to the 4 1/2 volt battery."

332 AW & CW Tel. sets Issue 2, note D, found in the TCI library.
-Bill G

rdelius

111B is the Western Electric model for the amplifier. I do not think the polarity will matter to power the amplifier .I believe the amplifier is a modern shreive repeater, basically a back to back transmitter and receiver. I have a 334c -the 4party version.Mine was wired to boost the transmitter so I rewired it.I would not recommend a wall wart power supply. It might have to much hum.
Robby

JorgeAmely

rdelius:

That is really an interesting concept. I guess the physical construction of the transmitter and receiver dictate the gain of the system. Can you point us to where more technical information of this type of amplifier can be found?

Jorge

rdelius

You might find something in the books  A history of Science and Engineering in the Bell System or Bell System technical Journal.I used to access them at Duke university but they closed the engineering library and they are stored off site.I think Western Electric made a hearing aid with a similar device. They were used for long line repeaters before the vaccum tube.
Robby

JorgeAmely

rdelius:

Is the spelling in shreive repeater correct? Google and Bing seem to try to steer me in other directions.
Jorge

rdelius

JorgeAmely

Robby:

I did another search, this time using the inventor's last name and a Google book, with a chapter dedicated to the amplifier (or repeater) showed up.

http://tinyurl.com/2fj4en3

Check page 399. I guess, based on these pictures that polarity does not matter.

I have to say, you learn something new everyday. Thank you very much for sharing this with us!  :)

Jorge