News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 50AL wiring a 5H Dial Needed

Started by Doug Rose, June 19, 2021, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

This is one of those cases where the customer is NOT right.  This is an antique.  It should be CHERISHED AND PRESEVED, NOT DESTROYED.  PERIOD.

Mike

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 20, 2021, 09:38:16 PM
Mike....my bad, I forgot I had to run everything I do by you.
Put me on your ever growing list of sellers you don't like.
I have a room full of Telephones that I got from selling telephones. Not a $ of my own money.
If you have a WE subset to send me, it has the correct cord and ready to go.
This is how it was found!

Kidphone

Doug,
A reply like that really isn't helping your case I'm afraid. You do indeed have a wonderful collection that is the envy of many of us I'm sure, but please think about what you are doing here. Is it really worth a few extra dollars in your pocket to potentially damage an irreplaceable item, as that is what you are doing by selling phones like this as "working" without any of the circuitry that protects their components and that they were designed to be used with. The customer is not right in this case, and the fact that the phone came to you this way does not make it right either. If you want to buy up phones cheaply and resell them for a profit to fund your collection that is entirely up to you, but please think about how you are doing it and how your actions are potentially destroying these important pieces of social history.

MMikeJBenN27

He probably cares only about money and nothing else.  At all.

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on June 21, 2021, 04:18:18 AM
He probably cares only about money and nothing else.  At all.

Mike
Thanks Mike....you got me! Another greedy seller! Thanks for showing a long time collector a bit of respect.

Okay....so everyone who has a stick has found it with a subset? Very fortunate indeed.

I think I have found five with the correct subset attached in 40 years, but you know best.

This was found as is and I installed a dial.

I have many sticks in my collection, ONE has the subset attached. ONE.

Sorry if the purists were offended.

Paul...it is not a 706A as that would be fine as it has a newer element. Cap is different.

David....I cannot get a good pic, looks like I 50 AL.

Kidphone

tubaman

Doug,
It is the same here in the UK that candlestick phones almost never come with a subset (or Bellset as the GPO called them). The few correct Bellsets that turn up go for premium prices as they are in demand. There are ways around this problem - eg http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/mini-network-painless-wiring.html - to ensure that a phone can be used safely and as intended. When I say 'safely' here I mean both for the phone itself and the user in terms of acoustic shock and line isolation etc.
It does take more cost and effort to do this but you end up with a phone that will both work better and last longer.
In my mind this is nothing to do with being a purist and everything to do with doing a job as correctly as reasonably possible.