News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please educate me on this "Trimline"

Started by countryman, August 11, 2021, 04:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

The button is mechanically reversible (dismount, rotate 180 degrees, then reassemble). It was assembled as Earth key on my set. The reversal to a flash or recall key was not a customer option as it requires opening the set! Selecting the function was done in the factory.
Hook flash signals were not implemented into German PABX by 1980. They used earth signals, even some touchtone PABX that may have been launched from the early 1970ies on. I guess Siemens wanted this option. It apparently was available from WE, although not commonly used on the US market.
Also German phones of the time had a W2 terminal for an external ringer (that would not tinkle when dialing). This is also implemented here. See the instruction table glued into the housing:
AS-Schnur (mountig cord):
ge (yellow) goes to terminal 3 of the phone for Earth.
gn (green) goes to terminal 1 for W2

The ringer appears to be the standard US version.

poplar1

Quote from: Key2871 on August 11, 2021, 06:04:14 PM
Some AD2 were partial modular with the adapters that went into the fat socket to accept the H4DU handset cords and D4BU line cords using the jack that slid into the the slot that remain when the fat base cord part was removed.

It's possible that the sets I saw labeled AD2 were not corrected with the sticker that went over markings on the bases to indicate they were actually AD3.
There was a time early on there were sets that had stickers that covered the AD2 designation some did not.
The box they were shipped in were marked AD3.

Note: In modular wall telephone set and
telephone set base codes, no distinction is
made between apparatus which include adapters
and newer apparatus whose base pans do not
require adapters. The wiring and function
of the two assembled configurations are identical.

Ref: BSP Section 503-100-100 Issue 4 Paragraph 2.01 (6) (TCI Library)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

side note regarding standard  trimline  wall bases.
There were several wall mount bases.
The ones that come to mind are:
There was the early  base with shallow plastics (non -mod line cord) adaptor available
The round top base with square top plastic
The square top base.
I think the deeper plastic had tall sides to hold the handset while you went to get the person. I kinda remember there may be a difference on the holder part of the base.

I haven't tracked dates on these bases.
Some of these have mod bases and earlier ones  had mod adaptors available.

At some point I want to track the variations on the trimline sets that I have.

Most collectors don't go after trimlines because they don't realize all the differences that they have.

The BSP's are field repair  guides and Trimlines were designed to be field replaceable vs field service.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: Jim Stettler on August 13, 2021, 06:27:26 PM

At some point I want to track the variations on the trimline sets that I have.

Most collectors don't go after trimlines because they don't realize all the differences that they have.

Jim

Richard Gerber documented many of the Trimline base and cord variations. Tables and photos are available in back issues of the Singing Wires issues listed here:

http://www.paul-f.com/weTrimline.html#SW

AFAIK, Visually documenting the many internal changes to the networks, ICs and circuit boards is still a work in progress. Is anyone working on it?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

countryman

Thanks for all the input guys, now I know better what I have here.

Jim Stettler

There has been some talk of this thread on the TCI list.
Here is a link regarding it
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi to everybody,

just a few words regarding the Germany-version of WE's trimline phone. The circuit and schematics of this version is completely different from WE's US model(s).

This is best explained in Herb Schwarz's article ,,A different kind of Manhattan projekt" – available from the TCI archives under

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/historian-s-corner/tales-from-vienna/13757-a-different-kind-of-manhatten-project/file

Best regards

Dietrich Arbenz, Munich, Germany

Member TCI, THG and SIG
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has the schematic for the trimline and Manhattan
It also has  Gondola®  info. and 2 Gondola®  ads.

Jim
You live, You learn,

countryman

Now that's comprehensive information. Thanks a lot for linking to it!

Edit: ...and still leaves room for questions:
The article mentions 3 colors: White, brown and moss green. Now my set is light blue and misses all Siemens or Post marks.
Either it was cobbled together from a light blue Trimline shell and Manhattan innards, or???
As I mentioned before, it looks unused.

paul-f

Here's a search link to Herbert's document (better for long-term references):

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=manhattan+trimline

Color info from Page 1 includes blue:

Telecom Germany offered the desk Manhattan® with LED in the W.E. colors ivory (-50),
cherry  red  (-53),  muted  blue  (-76),  white  (-58),  moss  green  (-51)  and  brown  (-113);
phones  without  the  LED  were  only  available  in  ivory,  cherry  red  and  muted  blue  (all
colors approximate). Refer to the addendum on page 19 for further information.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: countryman on August 15, 2021, 03:57:32 PM

Quote from: countryman on August 15, 2021, 03:57:32 PM

That is what I like hear.
I want this forum to be an interactive resource .
It doesn't matter to me  where the good info comes from,
I an happy that you got good  info and I am happy that this forum helped you get it.
This topic illustrates the intent of  this forum.
Thanks.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

markosjal

I ws surprised to find so much info on the Citesa Góndola phone at the link for the PDF . Updating this topic with more Góndola links

More info on these "Góndola" phones here
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26816.0
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24789.0
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26257.0

Although the following document is about Siemens Trimlines (made by Western Electric) it talks extensively about the Citesa Góndola
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/historian-s-corner/tales-from-vienna/13757-a-different-kind-of-manhatten-project/file
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish