News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 1243 MAYBE NOT!!

Started by Doug Rose, December 21, 2021, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have had this for years sitting on a shelf. I opened it today and found out why it is so light for a metal phone. EMPTY!

NOS SC black cords with paper still on them. Perfect paint. A dial for show.

Any info is greatly appreciated. I know I have a donor SC somewhere??...Doug
Kidphone

countryman

Very clean! Someone tidied up all the messy stuff inside.

paul-f

Is there a model number stamped on the bottom?

Check out the SC catalogs in the TCI Library.

Could be a 1224 or 1244 (probably 1244) -- designed to use with an external subset. It would be interesting to display it with a subset as intended.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=sc+catalog+1942+pp+07-29

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=1244
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

It looks like there is a diagram folded up and tucked under one of the terminal strips.  What is printed on it?

Larry

Doug Rose

Paul....it is a 1244 W and Larry that is a schematic that I had to remove the terminal strip as it wouldn't budge.

I have SC subset, this might be a project...or it might get donor parts.

1243s are not a real desirable set, which I will never understand....but NOS wired to a subset might be the way to go.

Now I know why the dial wasn't wired. Kind of cool....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Very nice NOS set.
Every phone I've ever got gets opened straight after I receive it to see what is inside, so I can't get my head around having one on a shelf for years without knowing what's in it.  ;D

MMikeJBenN27

This was a replacement for a desk stand, designed to use the subset that was already in place, that's why it is empty, as the subset has all the parts.

Mike

dsk

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on December 22, 2021, 12:00:46 PM
This was a replacement for a desk stand, designed to use the subset that was already in place, that's why it is empty, as the subset has all the parts.

Mike
Yes that has to be right, but for testing red and green to line should make it work with transmitter and receiver in series, we all know that is not good over long time, but how much will this phone be used?

dsk

poplar1

Quote from: dsk on December 22, 2021, 12:47:53 PM
  Yes that has to be right, but for testing red and green to line should make it work with transmitter and receiver in series, we all know that is not good over long time, but how much will this phone be used?

dsk

I think you mean green and yellow (not green and red) to use it as a series (hot-wired) telephone.

Green = receiver
Yellow = transmitter
Red = common
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

You have to connect it to a subset to use.  The line cord goes to that subset, not to the wall jack.  The SUBSET goes to the wall jack.  It should work fine.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

You should look at that wiring diagram to make sure nobody messed with the wiring.  It is OK to test it with it hotwired, just don't keep it that way, as like you said, it is not good for it.

Mike

Doug Rose

for now, I will keep it the way it is, just to perfect of a specimen. Paint is outstanding on this metal phone. Bakelite shines...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 29, 2021, 09:02:04 AM
for now, I will keep it the way it is, just to perfect of a specimen. Paint is outstanding on this metal phone. Bakelite shines...Doug

I think you've done the right thing there Doug as it can only be original once.
:)

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on December 29, 2021, 10:20:23 AM
I think you've done the right thing there Doug as it can only be original once.
:)
agreed....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

The dial may have been left unwired because that subscriber might still have had manual service, but soon would have dial service. 

Mike