News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1953 Soft Plastic Ivory 302 is "snug as a bug in a rug"

Started by allnumbedup, August 31, 2022, 05:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: allnumbedup on September 01, 2022, 06:24:47 PMThe case also has a vermillion H1 marking at the normal place by the mousehole for the mounting cord but three horizontal lines that I associate with Northern Electric base markings.

The 3 vermilion lines indicate a red-striped ringer: Notice that the ringer also has red lines on the coils.

If this were a Northern Electric ivory 302, only the housing and handset plastics would be Western Electric. The "H1" telset code would be stamped in white, the base pan would have  a slot for the induction coil foot, there would be patent dates on the inside of the base pan, and the ringer, condenser, and induction coil would be NE. I am guessing that the transmitter unit and receiver unit would be NE, and the dial would be a NE 5J. NE was still making 5-type dials until at least 1955. WE did not make 5-type dials after 12-52, but some color WE 302s assembled in 1953 still had 1952 WE 5J  dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on September 01, 2022, 07:16:09 PMTell me you didn't bust the finger wheel, I do hope you can find another.

The finger holes at 6, 7 & 8 look broken in the phone's original face shot.

Old style open center. Very hard to find and pricey if one turns up.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on September 01, 2022, 07:59:16 PMThe finger holes at 6, 7 & 8 look broken in the phone's original face shot.

Old style open center. Very hard to find and pricey if one turns up.

Ah! I didn't notice that, and you're certainly correct about finding those finger wheels, there like hens teeth.

allnumbedup

the dial picture will load if you click it. fingerwheel was broken when listed and I have replacments. thanks
Analog Phones for a Digital World

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Stormcrash on September 01, 2022, 03:45:18 PMNeat that all the dates match for such a late date. I always forget how much the 302 production continued and overlapped with the 500. Does anyone know what the reason for that was? My guess is 500 production ramp up and lack of color 500 options until some point in 1953
Color 500s didn't appear until 1953, and only in red,ivory,green,and dark grey.  Rose beige, yellow, dark brown,and dark blue followed in 54.

Mike