News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oslo Dial, Model 53 (Wall/Desk)

Started by RDPipes, October 11, 2022, 08:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Quote from: dsk on October 13, 2022, 01:56:39 AMNever seen painted gongs on these before, but try to change right/left bell to get the little more room you need for good ringing.  The capacitor has 2 capacitors, 2x2uF + o.1uF 
The 2 x2 uf in series makes the ringer get 1 uf, and the anti-sidetone needs them shunted to 4 uF.  The 01. is for the pulse contacts filtering.  If the work, do not change from the original.
Thank you sir, I will keep it as it is, just a little worried because of the cracks in the condenser covering. Never known one to get hot. It's not leaking so that's a good sign, maybe the whole phone got hot in storage hence the shrinkage of the case. Thank you again sir.

FABphones

Looks good. Much nicer without stickers to reverse the number layout.

Quote from: dsk on October 13, 2022, 01:56:39 AMNever seen painted gongs on these before...

This has me wondering if they are the correct gongs.

Doug - as you have the same model would you mind opening yours up and taking a photo of the inside, same as Ron's image above? Could you measure your gongs for comparison?

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Found this image (shown to left, below) on a 2009 CRPF thread (reply #16):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1899

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 13, 2022, 04:38:33 AMFound this image (shown to left, below) on a 2009 CRPF thread (reply #16):
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1899
The gongs look the same.
The two photos of the dials you show I believe are both mine, one before inverting the dial and one after.
One thing that hadn't registered in my brain was now the "9" and "0" are in different places.
There was a worn paper label over the face of the dial with the numbers printed on it. It was peeling off so
I just took it off. Seems I may have made a big mistake by doing so. Oh well, it was only $6, LOL!
Oh! And I have since then inverted the center piece with the numbers on it too.

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on October 13, 2022, 05:11:09 AM...The gongs look the same...

...The two photos of the dials you show I believe are both mine, one before inverting the dial and one after...

Both images taken from your posts above. Side by side images just for easy comparison.  :)

——

Hmmm. The gongs do look the same. 🤔
Have you tried marking the inside of the phone shell; when you put it back on the mark should rub off on both parts, making it easier to see exactly which areas are touching. Use something to hand which won't permanently mark. A piece of Scotch tape might do it, or a thin layer of Plasticine rubbed on, or dampen the shell with a fine mist and sift a small amount of flour over the area (just ideas).

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 13, 2022, 05:34:57 AM...Have you tried marking the inside of the phone shell...
...A piece of Scotch tape might do it, or a thin layer of Plasticine rubbed on, or dampen the shell with a fine mist and sift a small amount of flour over the area (just ideas).
Flour! You Gals have always got baking on your minds, LOL!
There are some good scratches left by the gongs on the inside left and right sides of the case, here's a photo.

rdelius

These sets were sold by Phoneco. They had stickers printed to correct the dial numbers .

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on October 13, 2022, 10:47:04 AMThese sets were sold by Phoneco. They had stickers printed to correct the dial numbers .
Oh! That explains somethings then, thank you.
This phone is Jinxed, now the dial is kaput!
I boxed it up and wrote garbage on the box, reckon $6 doesn't buy ya much nowadays, LOL!

HarrySmith

Steve Hilsz can fix your dial for another $6.00!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 13, 2022, 01:42:12 PMSteve Hilsz can fix your dial for another $6.00!

Yeah I know but, this phone is a problem child, ya fix one thing and another problem rears its head.
I'm done with it, it's just not worth my time Harry. I've only had 4 hours sleep because of my back issues and I tried to work on this cockamamie dial and it exploded, parts everywhere. And I aint sending that to Steve and I aint buying another dial. It was a $6 phone when I bought it and its still a $6 phone.

HarrySmith

OK. Understood. I had a dial do that to me also. I put all the parts I could find in a baggie & sent it to Steve, 2 days later I got back a working dial. He even replaced the springs I did not find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 13, 2022, 03:21:06 PMOK. Understood. I had a dial do that to me also. I put all the parts I could find in a baggie & sent it to Steve, 2 days later I got back a working dial. He even replaced the springs I did not find.

Steve's a great guy and I can't with good conscience send him a dial I screwed up.

dsk

If you have dial from an Antwerp phone, it will much likely fit the phone. :-)

RDPipes

Quote from: dsk on October 14, 2022, 01:50:27 AMIf you have dial from an Antwerp phone, it will much likely fit the phone. :-)
Thank you sir, all I have are US dials, this is only the 3rd Eur phone I've ever owned.
I'm not worried about it, it'll sit till I run out of things to do and then it'll be
drug out again.LOL!

HarrySmith

Quote from: RDPipes on October 13, 2022, 04:38:16 PMSteve's a great guy and I can't with good conscience send him a dial I screwed up.
That's what he does! When I asked him if I could send the pieces he said "Of course. I love a challenge."
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"