News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of phone is this?

Started by djtownsend, May 16, 2011, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

I see this phone on ebay and am interested in it.  I don't know the model of this phone nor can I find it in the Meyer book.  I believe it is WE but want to make sure.

Can anyone help?

Dan

Kenny C

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the wall version of the northern electric  galeion. Am I right?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I beleive you are right Kenny.

The North sets are also called sideways 302's.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

This is a Northern Electric #2 Uni phone, brother of the #1 desk set. Looks like a North Galion, but bigger....Doug
Kidphone

djtownsend

Thanks everyone for the info.

Dan

Phonesrfun

Yes, that is a Northern Electric #2 (Not to be confused with North Electric)  they both made the sideways 302's

North Electric was based in Galion, Ohio and was a manufacturer for independant phone companies, and often their sets contained Western Electric components.

Northern Electric was located in Canada and was the manufacture of phones for Bell Canada, which at one time, I believe, was partially owned by the US Bell System.  Northern Electric made phones that are identical to Western Electric, except for the name.  It also had designs of its own which were not made by Western Electirc.  The phone we are talking about is one such example.

The fact that both companies have similar names, made the "sideways" desksets, and many parts, including the ringers (for straight-line), the capacitors, the induction coils, and the tranmitter & receiver elements were all of Western Electric design made them hard to tell apart.
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 16, 2011, 04:38:02 PM
Yes, that is a Northern Electric #2 (Not to be confused with North Electric)  they both made the sideways 302's

North Electric was based in Galion, Ohio and was a manufacturer for independant phone companies, and often their sets contained Western Electric components.

Northern Electric was located in Canada and was the manufacture of phones for Bell Canada, which at one time, I believe, was partially owned by the US Bell System.  Northern Electric made phones that are identical to Western Electric, except for the name.  It also had designs of its own which were not made by Western Electirc.  The phone we are talking about is one such example.

The fact that both companies have similar names, made the "sideways" desksets, and many parts, including the ringers (for straight-line), the capacitors, the induction coils, and the tranmitter & receiver elements were all of Western Electric design made them hard to tell apart.

I was confused.
Thanks bill

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.