News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this, Stromberg Carelson

Started by WesternElectricBen, July 11, 2013, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

A friend, of a friend, of a friend sent me a AE 40 and this Stromberg Carelson.

It looks alot like a Model 302 with minor differences. I know its stromberg and its meattel. Its verry pitted and a bit rusty where stromberg is written. The handle also has some play, is that normal? What model is this? Is it 1243w?

If you have time, tell me everything I need to know. Will the ringer work with out modification? Was it common, where was it common?

Thanks,
Ben.

G-Man

As usual, if the ringer will work depends on whether it is a 20~ or straight-line ringer vs. some other frequency. I'm sure you have already read the other threads on the subject.

They were common enough for the Bell System to use them and equate their performance with a 302 in the Bell System Practices.

Stromberg Carlson* was a highly regarded company amongst the independents and the Bell System. Bell even purchased pbx switchboards from them.

*Stromberg Carleson [sic]

WesternElectricBen

Ok, thank you GMan. So what your saying its hit or miss if it will work on a modern line.

HarrySmith

Cool phone Ben ;D
I am guessing pretty old from the *metal plungers!

*meattell [sic]
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 11, 2013, 05:02:24 PM
Ok, thank you GMan. So what your saying its hit or miss if it will work on a modern line.

The phone is perfectly compatible with any line that supports rotary dialing.

As to whether it rings or not depends on whether the ringer is of the correct frequency; a 20~ or straight-line ringer will work however, as has already been discussed rather extensively on this forum, other frequencies will not work.

You will need to open it up and identify which frequency your ringer is or simply connect the instrument and call if from another line to see if it will ring.

The only other variable would be whether the ringer is wired for bridged or divided ringing. This also has been frequently discussed and often involves only a simple wiring change of moving one wire to another terminal.

poplar1

The "play" in the part marked Stromberg-Carlson is intentional. It was used for a two-step hook switch on heavily loaded party lines. It's like the "lift plunger to dial or talk" on the WE phone. You had to bend a tab and rewire the set in in order to modify it for push to talk or dial.

I sold a SC 1243 already wired for 2-step hook switch to my brother's girlfriend. She said it was confusing whenever she was awakened by the phone because she would forget to push the bar to talk.

This phone came from the KMP Telephone Company---Kerkoven, Murdock and Pennock, Minnesota.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on July 11, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

The phone is perfectly compatible with any line that supports rotary dialing.

As to whether it rings or not depends on whether the ringer is of the correct frequency; a 20~ or straight-line ringer will work however, as has already been discussed rather extensively on this forum, other frequencies will not work.

You will need to open it up and identify which frequency your ringer is or simply connect the instrument and call if from another line to see if it will ring.

The only other variable would be whether the ringer is wired for bridged or divided ringing. This also has been frequently discussed and often involves only a simple wiring change of moving one wire to another terminal.

Yes yes, I know the rotary will work but the ringer was my question, and thank you for your answer.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on July 11, 2013, 05:57:21 PM
The "play" in the part marked Stromberg-Carlson is intentional. It was used for a two-step hook switch on heavily loaded party lines. It's like the "lift plunger to dial or talk" on the WE phone. You had to bend a tab and rewire the set in in order to modify it for push to talk or dial.

I sold a SC 1243 already wired for 2-step hook switch to my brother's girlfriend. She said it was confusing whenever she was awakened by the phone because she would forget to push the bar to talk.

This phone came from the KMP Telephone Company---Kerkoven, Murdock and Pennock, Minnesota.

Ok, I think I see what your saying. So if I depress it, if its wire the right way its like push to talk.

That is interesting, as I live in Minnesota!

Ben

G-Man

Yes yes, I know the rotary will work but the ringer was my question, and thank you for your answer.

[/quote]

You asked if the telephone would work on a modern line and I answered that it would work on any line that supported rotary dialing. I and countless others have already addressed the ringing situation.

Here is a link to the Bell System Practices; however it shows it with a 5H dial installed so you should conduct a further search of the TCI Library for the Stromberg issued wiring diagrams and practices showing it equipped an A.E.Co. dial.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/680-c32-506-stromberg-carlson-1243a-telephone-bsp

The following snippets from the practice show that it would have the same compatibility as any Western Electric 302 would have:

BELL SYSTEM PRACTICES                                                             SECTION C32.506
STATION INSTALLATION and MAINTENANCE                                  Issue 1, 12-3-45
                                                                                                 AT&T Co Provisional

TELEPHONE SETS
                                        STROMBERG-CARLSON

1.04     These sets have housings made of metal with a black
                finish.

2. DESCRIPTION

2.01   These sets are in general similar to the 302 type tele-
            phone sets shown in Section C32.502, Figs. I and 2 and
            are used at common battery anti-sidetone stations on non-
            polarized ringing lines of the following classes of service:

Individual Lines (Manual and Dial)
            Two-Party Selective Flat Rate (Manual and Dial)

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 11, 2013, 07:11:58 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on July 11, 2013, 05:57:21 PM

Ok, I think I see what your saying. So if I depress it, if its wire the right way its like push to talk.

That is interesting, as I live in Minnesota!

Ben

You would listen first to make sure that there was no conversation, ringing tone, or dial pulses, so you wouldn't interrupt another call. If the line was idle, you would then press down on the bar just one time. When you hung up, it would reset.

Here's a thread about the WE 302AC, which is similar:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6532.0

poplar1

At the top of the page, there are instructions for converting a standard 1243 to 2-step hook switch operation. From TCI library:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2048-1243-50text-tl

You can see right now what the line sounds like in a 302, AE 40, Kellogg 1000, North 6H6 or SC 1243 by removing the transmitter. It is like the "Monitor" on an installer/repairman's hand test set (butt set). You can even answer the phone before it starts ringing. It's a good test of the secondary circuit in these models.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on July 11, 2013, 07:48:29 PM

You asked if the telephone would work on a modern line and I answered that it would work on any line that supported rotary dialing. I and countless others have already addressed the ringing situation.

Here is a link to the Bell System Practices; however it shows it with a 5H dial installed so you should conduct a further search of the TCI Library for the Stromberg issued wiring diagrams and practices showing it equipped an A.E.Co. dial.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/680-c32-506-stromberg-carlson-1243a-telephone-bsp

The following snippets from the practice show that it would have the same compatibility as any Western Electric 302 would have:

BELL SYSTEM PRACTICES                                                             SECTION C32.506
STATION INSTALLATION and MAINTENANCE                                  Issue 1, 12-3-45
                                                                                                 AT&T Co Provisional

TELEPHONE SETS
                                        STROMBERG-CARLSON

1.04     These sets have housings made of metal with a black
                finish.

2. DESCRIPTION

2.01   These sets are in general similar to the 302 type tele-
            phone sets shown in Section C32.502, Figs. I and 2 and
            are used at common battery anti-sidetone stations on non-
            polarized ringing lines of the following classes of service:

Individual Lines (Manual and Dial)
            Two-Party Selective Flat Rate (Manual and Dial)

[/quote]

Thank you.. I was just asking if the ringer would work okn a modern line.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on July 11, 2013, 08:08:40 PM
At the top of the page, there are instructions for converting a standard 1243 to 2-step hook switch operation. From TCI library:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2048-1243-50text-tl

You can see right now what the line sounds like in a 302, AE 40, Kellogg 1000, North 6H6 or SC 1243 by removing the transmitter. It is like the "Monitor" on an installer/repairman's hand test set (butt set). You can even answer the phone before it starts ringing. It's a good test of the secondary circuit in these models.

I'l take a look at that.

Birdman115

This phone is a S-C 1243, and was ubiquitous in the late '40s through the '60s where I live - Rochester, NY.  Rochester Telephone used S-C equipment exclusively as S-C was a subsidiary of Rochester Tel, much like Western Electric was a subsidiary of the Bell Telephone System.  These phones, however, were bought by many independent phone companies across the nation.  Indeed, when I first started teaching in rural Central New York in 1970, one of my students invited me to his home and there on the phone stand was a 1243, which I thought old fashioned at the time, compared to the 1543/500 series popular in the late 50's and 60's.  This just goes to show that the equipment was very durable.  I have one myself and it still works like a charm. 

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Birdman115 on July 12, 2013, 12:07:30 AM
This phone is a S-C 1243, and was ubiquitous in the late '40s through the '60s where I live - Rochester, NY.  Rochester Telephone used S-C equipment exclusively as S-C was a subsidiary of Rochester Tel, much like Western Electric was a subsidiary of the Bell Telephone System.  These phones, however, were bought by many independent phone companies across the nation.  Indeed, when I first started teaching in rural Central New York in 1970, one of my students invited me to his home and there on the phone stand was a 1243, which I thought old fashioned at the time, compared to the 1543/500 series popular in the late 50's and 60's.  This just goes to show that the equipment was very durable.  I have one myself and it still works like a charm. 

It's interesting they would carry on the design from 40s to 60s. The transmitter is only for 1960! I would have thought it to be older. Like 302 times..

Ben